How does this Clownfish look to you? Sick or healthy?

thewalkingdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottom line up front: Does this clown look sick (sorry for the crappy pictures)

I bought a pair of Ocellaris Clownfish about 3.5 months ago. They will be the first fish introduced into my new build when the plumbing is finished and I'm confident the tank is cycled.

When I bought them, they looked great. I put them through Humblefish's Hybrid TTM. I followed it exactly as recommended (never exceeding 72 hours, 2x H2O2 dips, 2 doses of GC, etc). After I finished the HTTM, I put the into a large observation tank to chill while my DT gets finished. Since the DT has taken so long to get together, their stay in OT has been longer than anticipated, but they seem happy in OT in the meantime.

So, I don't know when I first noticed it, but probably about two months ago (after QT was finished), I noticed the smaller of the clowns had some white-ish film on his scales. I freaked out and thought that Brook has somehow snuck by my QT. I knew that clowns were particularly susceptible to Brook and that I might only have minutes to act. I immediately did a freshwater dip and then did a Ruby Rally dip for 90 minutes for both clowns. While that was going on, I prepped a brand new tank and tore down the old one. When the clowns were out of the FW/RR dips, I noticed they both looked exactly the same. One looked great and the other still looked like it had that same white film on him. Once in the new/clean OT, I ran another series of GC. After that was done, still no change.

For the entire time I've had these two fish, they have been great eaters and swim/behave normally (as far as clowns go because let's be honest, they are odd fish sometimes). They eat a mix of pellet (PE Mysis and Neptune Crossover), omnivore frozen food, and occassionally live/newly-hatched BBS. The clowns love them all (especially the BBS). The only other thing that has me concerned is I noticed a slight bit of his tail fin missing. I'm unsure if it deteriorated or if it got nipped by another fish (there is now a Zebra Barred Dartfish in OT with them).

So here I am, a few days from being able to introduce fish to my DT. Should I be concerned about this clown? He still eats and swims fine. The white film hasn't changed (for better or worse). All of my tank parameters are within acceptable ranges and no detectable ammonia.

Cheers

(sorry again for the poor pictures)

IMG_20201122_192353.jpg

IMG_20201122_192400.jpg

drewwCh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottom line up front: Does this clown look sick (sorry for the crappy pictures)

I bought a pair of Ocellaris Clownfish about 3.5 months ago. They will be the first fish introduced into my new build when the plumbing is finished and I'm confident the tank is cycled.

When I bought them, they looked great. I put them through Humblefish's Hybrid TTM. I followed it exactly as recommended (never exceeding 72 hours, 2x H2O2 dips, 2 doses of GC, etc). After I finished the HTTM, I put the into a large observation tank to chill while my DT gets finished. Since the DT has taken so long to get together, their stay in OT has been longer than anticipated, but they seem happy in OT in the meantime.

So, I don't know when I first noticed it, but probably about two months ago (after QT was finished), I noticed the smaller of the clowns had some white-ish film on his scales. I freaked out and thought that Brook has somehow snuck by my QT. I knew that clowns were particularly susceptible to Brook and that I might only have minutes to act. I immediately did a freshwater dip and then did a Ruby Rally dip for 90 minutes for both clowns. While that was going on, I prepped a brand new tank and tore down the old one. When the clowns were out of the FW/RR dips, I noticed they both looked exactly the same. One looked great and the other still looked like it had that same white film on him. Once in the new/clean OT, I ran another series of GC. After that was done, still no change.

For the entire time I've had these two fish, they have been great eaters and swim/behave normally (as far as clowns go because let's be honest, they are odd fish sometimes). They eat a mix of pellet (PE Mysis and Neptune Crossover), omnivore frozen food, and occassionally live/newly-hatched BBS. The clowns love them all (especially the BBS). The only other thing that has me concerned is I noticed a slight bit of his tail fin missing. I'm unsure if it deteriorated or if it got nipped by another fish (there is now a Zebra Barred Dartfish in OT with them).

So here I am, a few days from being able to introduce fish to my DT. Should I be concerned about this clown? He still eats and swims fine. The white film hasn't changed (for better or worse). All of my tank parameters are within acceptable ranges and no detectable ammonia.

Cheers

(sorry again for the poor pictures)

IMG_20201122_192353.jpg

IMG_20201122_192400.jpg
their pelvic and dorsal fins aren't "standing up" for lack of a better word. To me that signifies that they could be doing better. I think you should keep a close eye on them and watch out for any symptoms.
and in the second photo, there's something weird near the tail of the clown

here's a post regarding diseases that might help you if any symptoms do show up https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/fish-disease-index-pictorial-guide.199/

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm seeing the same thing as Andrew - clowns usually carry their fins at least relaxed, not necessarily fully erect, but not clamped either. Your guy's do look a bit clamped. Swimming movements should be fluid, as well - if he looks more like he's got a single joint in the middle of his body, he's probably not feeling his best.

~B.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 37.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back