Mountain Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Returning to reefing after 10 year hiatus
working on mixing station
will be 75ft from DT. No way to plumb for AWC, so plan to drag hose to fill ATO resevoir and pump fresh salt water for WC using Panworld pump.
I have been looking at many designs for salt water mixing stations on forum, and cannot figure out how people handle the waste water from DT when doing WC.

Use same pump from mixing station to pull water out of tank.?
Use manifold off DT sump return pump to pump water out?

How do you vacuum gravel with either of the above?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a separate pump in the sump to remove water for my 10% water changes. The sump was designed so that I could pump out 60 gallons out of my return chamber (return pump off). The sump pump is strong enough to pump water 30 feet into brute trash cans in the back of my truck. They are dumped on my gravel road to help with dust control. The water could be dumped down a drain if you have city sewer. I do not.
When my tank was new, I did vac the gravel for 6 months. After that, with my critters I dont have any issues with dirty sand. I do stir it every so often just to be sure. I do not get any cloud so im good. I used siphon it into 5 gallon buckets. usually took 2 or 3 buckets to do the whole sand bed ( 5' x 5' tank)

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still remove my water the old school way by means of a siphon into 5 gallon buckets and then straight to the sink or toilet. When cleaning my sump out I use the python connected to my garden hose and drain the water outside. My mixing station pumps the new water straight to my sump.

OP
OP
M

Mountain Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still remove my water the old school way by means of a siphon into 5 gallon buckets and then straight to the sink or toilet. When cleaning my sump out I use the python connected to my garden hose and drain the water outside. My mixing station pumps the new water straight to my sump.
Looking over mixing station threads I think that is what most people do.
Just seems that if putting in the effort to build a mixing station, should be a way of avoiding lugging buckets completely

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a seperate pump in my sump. Using a banjo fitting I drag a hose out, connect it to the banjo fitting, and put the other end in my sink. Turn on pump, pump out water to a line on my sump, then using my mixing station I pump NSW back in. Easy peasy and I do 20G WC's in about 5 minutes.

Ridgeway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have a stand pipe drain that I open during a WC, as I fill the new salted and the level in the sump rises then this excess goes to drain.

My drain is sump distance away and it’s not possible to use gravity so I built a bilge box and hence as this fills from the drain pipe a pump empties the box

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back