How easy is keeping a saltwater reef aquarium for you?

How easy or hard is keeping a saltwater reef aquarium for you?

• EASY! I've got the Blue Thumb!

Votes: 122 16.0%
  • HAREASY! Not easy but not hard either!

Votes: 558 73.2%
  • HARD! Growing corals is hard for me!

Votes: 82 10.8%

• Total voters

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think once I figured out the general science behind things, it became pretty easy, a little too easy.

Proteus Meep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20181018_090834.jpg

ReefdUp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in the hobby 12 years, and I never stick with anything easy (I get bored easily). When I started, this hobby was such a challenge. Now, I keep finding new ways to challenge myself. The basics are so easy now. I can tell when my levels just start to drop (not get low...just drop) just by looking at the corals.

The unknowns and good communities of people trying to learn about one of the most unknown areas keeps me in the hobby.

This hobby can be for those that don't like a challenge, but they need to recognize their limitations and keep it simple.

Ksmmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parts have been a struggle. I started with a biocube about 14 months ago and still have the original 4 fish and most of the corals I initially installed.
The tank runs itself with only twice a month water changes and once a month cleaning the return pump and changing out the carbon. That tank has never been
an issue for me. I do have some bubble algae in there right now, but I'm working on getting it out. I started with live rock and live sand, but still have the crappy biocube lights on it. I might upgrade it one day and put in some tougher to grow corals.

I began reading anything and everything on this site and other places and watched countless YouTube videos. (Found out how much bad info is out there too). I decided on want I would want in a larger tank within some budget restraints and put it together with mostly good equipment. Ecotech lights, Tunze powerheads, but I did start with dry rock (Though I let it sit in a barrel with powerheads and grew bacteria on it for 90 days before putting it in the main display)

I set up a 120 gallon on January 3rd of 2018. I decided to QT fish and I've still lost a handful of tangs to parasites, either in the QT tank or in the main display. I lost some clowns too, which was very upsetting and frustrating. I lost several acros and one torch, though I haven't lost a coral in over a month. I've had bouts with green hair algae and recently dinos. Despite all that, I've kept my parameters pretty consistent. I think now after 10 months, the algae is pretty much gone, the fish are healthy, the parameters are stable and in the range where I want them. I'm hoping for some smoother sailing and concentrating on allowing the corals to grow.

I have now have healthy acans, torches, hammers, zoas, leptos, chalices, cyphastra, plates, stylos in the 120 gallon. Now my acros are beginning to encrust. My next goal to improve their color and keep the tank stable. It's been an expensive challenge and a large learning curve but I think I'm on the right path.

Overall, I would say it's been trying to be patient, learn all you can and get over the disappointments as quickly as possible. Learn from your mistakes and realize that most people will try and offer you sound advice, but it's not always good advice. Like most things, it's a hobby that's not easy to learn, but once you do, it makes your life easier each day and your tank healthier. So yes, hard and easy.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back