How fast can you raise calcium?

OP
R

Riotjj21

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
It is on topic to very strongly drive home the potential for it to be test error, because you will create a problem that didn't exist.

If you do not know how it got there, it is likely a test problem. Calcium does not just drop 200 ppm overnight.

It would take a massive amount of alk dosing without any calcium. Like about 30 dKH worth.

But, if it really is that low, I'd raise it higher than the normal rate because it is very stressful. Maybe 50 ppm per day.
I got the answer I was looking for. I'm back in the 400s. Feel free to delete the thread. It's no longer useful

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I got the answer I was looking for. I'm back in the 400s. Feel free to delete the thread. It's no longer useful

Yes, you got the answer you were looking for. I hope it is the right answer too. lol

Reef2Reef never deletes threads. They are useful to others reading them.

OP
R

Riotjj21

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
So you went today from 200 back to 400 just like that with 1 huge dose and yet still don’t know how it got that low to start with ?
I
It is on topic to very strongly drive home the potential for it to be test error, because you will create a problem that didn't exist.

If you do not know how it got there, it is likely a test problem. Calcium does not just drop 200 ppm overnight.

It would take a massive amount of alk dosing without any calcium. Like about 30 dKH worth.

But, if it really is that low, I'd raise it higher than the normal rate because it is very stressful. Maybe 50 ppm per day.
It didn't drop 200 overnight. Over three or four days. My corals consume 30 ppm per day. Go see what Gbroadbridge wrote. He was probably correct. I dosed 100 ppm per day so two days

Zoanthids

Garf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I

It didn't drop 200 overnight. Over three or four days. My corals consume 30 ppm per day. Go see what Gbroadbridge wrote. He was probably correct. I dosed 100 ppm per day so two days
I wish folks would admit an error, it helps others in the long run. Anyhow, glad you’ve cleared it up. Happy Reefin :)

OP
R

Riotjj21

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I wish folks would admit an error, it helps others in the long run. Anyhow, glad you’ve cleared it up. Happy Reefin :)
With wishes like that all your doing is preventing people from posting. I certainly won't again. On advise from another post in another forum it was suggested that I do a 50 percent water change to drop my nitrates. Just didn't take into account the new salt. Adios

Garf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
With wishes like that all your doing is preventing people from posting. I certainly won't again. On advise from another post in another forum it was suggested that I do a 50 percent water change to drop my nitrates. Just didn't take into account the new salt. Adios
Lokoking g forward to your build thread. You will find most folks on here are just trying help.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I

No, a water change with Red Sea coral pro is not the explanation for your observation. That cannot possibly be the explanation for a 200 ppm drop over 3 days unless alk dropped 30 dKH (how could it???; was it ever that high?) neither is a salinity change unless it dropped from SG 1.026 to 1.013.

I am more than happy to keep trying to explain and get at the real reasons for this observation, but it does not appear that you are interested in further discussion.

FWIW, the likely explanations are alk overdose, or test error.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
No, a water change with Red Sea coral pro is not the explanation for your observation. That cannot possibly be the explanation for a 200 ppm drop over 3 days unless alk dropped 30 dKH (how could it???; was it ever that high?) neither is a salinity change unless it dropped from SG 1.026 to 1.013.

I am more than happy to keep trying to explain and get at the real reasons for this observation, but it does not appear that you are interested in further discussion.

FWIW, the likely explanations are alk overdose, or test error.
This is exactly what I was thinking

Top Shelf Aquatics