How frequently should you change out your T5 bulbs? | BRStv Investigates

blasm12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

This week we're getting back to our roots in the BRStv Investigates series with a test of T5 bulb's longevity from a simulated year's worth of use. We'll finally answer the question on how much spectrum shift and PAR loss you can expect from your bulbs when ran at 100%, as well as test the effects of dimming them to 50%! :)

Awesome video. BRS .. best place on the internet to get supplies!

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway you can similuate a test without bulb cooling?! Not everyone cools our bulbs! I have an open canopy that the air can get all around my fixture and bulbs. Curious as to if that would skew data. And convince me to buy a cooling fan or 2.

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change my bulbs out every 12 months on Black Friday when they go on sale and also offer 10x points.

No guessing how old they are or when I last changed them.

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the testing, will save money but more importantly we will be acting on facts, not fiction when we do change them. The next batch of experiments is going to be very enlightening I hope. There is so much opinion and very little fact on all those theories. great job!

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing video. You guys brought up
Such a good point about shifting spectrum. Users with led fixtures that offer full control and automation are intentionally shifting their spectral balance through the day every day (not all I realize, but most do) without detriment. Having a 2% shift here and there gradually over time can’t be that different than nudging led faders a couple percent here and there. Very good point made.

Andrew D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent video, the effort you put into helping us balance efficiency with effectiveness is much appreciated. I too would value knowing what happens to ATI bulbs after 12 months.

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not only was this video fantastic but the upcoming series is mind blowing! You guys are amazing, thanks for continuing to push the envelope.

Bugger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running 8 ati 5 blue plus 2 specials and one coral light bulb for 16 months.
Corals look good good growth when is the new update coming out

Bugger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy So to sum up 20% loss to blue plus after 2 YEARS

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 47 48.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 52 53.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 22 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 26 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.2%
Back