How good is sea lettuce in the refugium

Amtrack5899

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just how good is sea lettuce when used in the refugium? Is it as good as Chaeto in absorbing nitrates? I ask this because i could never properly grow Chaeto and I’m sick of buying it when and if it is available and yet my sea lettuce grows like crazy. I used egg crate to contain it and I also feed it to the tang and fox face.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how good it is at removing nitrates, but it seems to be the only thing I can grow as well.
My phosphates have always been quite low, now that I'm dosing phosphates things seem to grow much better. I may give some chaeto another try.

encathal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same question now. Cheato is like next to impossible to get right now. AlgaeBarn is out of stock. Two things come up. Is Sea Lettuce equal to or better then Cheato on removing Natrates? How likely is it to end up in the display tanks and is it a truly a bad thing?

Twillyg21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how it compares with chaeto with nutrient uptake, but it must pull nutrients if it’s growing :)

I run four types of Marco in my fuge:

caulerpa prolifera
Red Ogo
Sea Lettuce
And POM POM

my tangs LOVE when I grab some of each and put it on a clip. Nice salad for them!

tbe Pom Pom looks really cool in a DT too. I put some in a small in tank refugium with some rock to make it look like an underwater volcano!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 82 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back