how hard is it to build your own tank?

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it difficult? any info out there? is it worth the work and would i save money??

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i can build my own stands and canopy, along with plumbing, siliconing etc.

but i dont have a table saw, which limits me on acrylic work. if i did have one i would so all over just building everything myself.

you just need to have a good sense with working with tools etc, and building "stuff"

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I build my own stands and now canopy's too. I just need the tools for acrylic work. I will be building my own tank out of acrylic soon., but just needs the resources.

Just take your time when your building stuff and make a plan or it will all go wrong....:)

The Fragmaster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can make a plywood and acrylic tank of any size EASLY.
Tradittional acrylic and galss tanks are not easy.

I intend to make 2 plywood and acrylic race ways 8'l x 3'w x 2'h ( depth isnt set in stone may be shallower) in the near future.

coralfarm123

INDMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making a glass tank is pretty easy and relatively inexpensive. Call around to the local glass shops to get an idea of cost if you have your cut list. After that, you really just need some silicone. You also can use the eurobracing style to avoid having plastic rims.

pookstreet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the right tools and don't mind some trial and error, acrylic is pretty easy to work with. Or you can always have the plastics shop precut the pieces for you to your exact dimensions and glue them up yourself. Here is the one I built and will likely make some more just for fun.

19741a61.jpg

DSCN5194.jpg

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kinda like having the pieces cut from me at this time, the place I had mine cut did it on a CNC machine which the most it could be off true was .001. If you have them lazer cut it then you will have to sand the edges cause after lazer cutting it will not weld together....

Nice tank Pookstreet.....

OP
OP
Kigs!

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pookstreet, i was actually surfing through ur thread on nr which gave me the idea. i have a pretty nice workshop here in school that i could play around with... i was thinking of glass though.

.. we also have a laser cut machine. you think i could draw up bunch of CAD drawings and laser cut acrylic or glass under it?

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could if your thing will allow you to put the whole sheet on the table.....Like I said you will have to sand or file a bit on the edges cause the laser changes the molecular make up of the acrylic and won't let it chemical weld together......Definitely something to look into if you can do it for cheap...

OP
OP
Kigs!

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i should find out what the maximum thickness of glass or acrylic that laser machine could cut. as far as welding, i used this clear liquid solvent to put together few acrylic pieces for a project. i had to use it with a syringe...and the store told me that it basically melts the acrylic it is applied to, gluing them together. any idea what this solvent might be?

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use weld-on #4 as well, doesn't set up as fast as #3 but is the same thing, I use a needle applicator so you can put about 4-5 oz in it and keep going as opposed to a syringe which you would have to empty and fill many times and do it fast.....You will want to make sure you apply the weld-on to the whole side at the same time. I would drop the syringe and get a needle applicator...

OP
OP
Kigs!

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
weld-on...that was the name. is it reef-safe? also would it be able to support the water pressure once water's inside?

pookstreet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah, I forgot that I use #4 also. I like to use #3 in the winter b/c it cures faster.

When Weld-on is used, the 2 pieces of acrylic are essentially welded together (chemically bonded). That's why you don't really see a seam, unlike glass. It's safe and what everyone uses, including the big tank makers.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back