How hard is it to start off with a FULL reef tank (instead of FOWLR or fish only)? New Hobbyist Thread

reeftanknewbie83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to the hobby, dream is to go into complete full reef tank (fish, corals and live rocks). How hard is this to attempt with zero reef-keeping experience?

Sticker shock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had way more trouble keeping fish happy than coral. I've added a mix of different corals expecting to have trouble with one type or another, but everything has been going pretty good for me. If you can stay on top of water quality with testing and water changes, then you can handle going full reef as soon as the cycle completes (of course do not add everything at once). I sourced my corals from reputable vendors as well, so I'd say that certainly helped keep any potential issues to a minimum.

OP
OP
reeftanknewbie83

reeftanknewbie83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had way more trouble keeping fish happy than coral. I've added a mix of different corals expecting to have trouble with one type or another, but everything has been going pretty good for me. If you can stay on top of water quality with testing and water changes, then you can handle going full reef as soon as the cycle completes (of course do not add everything at once). I sourced my corals from reputable vendors as well, so I'd say that certainly helped keep any potential issues to a minimum.
I'm certainly going to do it a bit at a time, first with the live rocks, then some tang fish, and finally hopefully some types of corals. Just doing some research for now, and praying for the best!

U

User1

View Badges
How hard? It depends on the amount of planning and preparation before starting. Patience and plans are the most important part of the journey. The rest is just following the recipe if that makes sense.

Let us call them three P's. Patience is because it will take time. Planning is because the more you do up front the less you will have to redesign, re-purchase, etc. It is an expensive hobby so planning reef tank size, type, equipment, things like that - the whole system - is key otherwise you are just throwing stuff at it after reacting to issues. Preparation is the last stage such that you get your build pipeline working off the plan. Salt mix is there, how you mix the water, heaters, water, tank location, etc. This you have ready and or laid out so you are not running around on short notice trying to find something you ordered or maybe didn't and have to run and go get it or mail order it. It stops the cog in the wheel and could cause a delay.

In the planning stage is where you can reduce the time so to speak by some of your choices. Dry rock for example will take up to two years to mature. Doesn't mean you can't add test / starter corals before then just saying it takes some time to mature. On the other hand there is live rock you can by from TBS or KP Aquatics that is already mature and can get you up and running a lot quicker. However, the trade off is cost. So back to the three P's.

It isn't hard but it does take patience, planning, and preparation. Best of luck to you!

Reefjnky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just go slow and like mentioned above be patient and plan. How big of a tank are you planning? I started with a 40g breeder and a 20l refugium i rigged up. You can get the 40b for pretty cheap when petco runs its 1$ gallon deal.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back