How have you all overcome the loss of a big fish?

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Warning: pity party

I lost my favorite fish today, my sf eel. I haven't lost a fish in over a year let alone my favorite. I never really dwelled over fish deaths as most have been out of my control but I think this one was a thiamine deficiency as I had just switched from fish filet to silversides as she got bigger which is on me. Also doesn't help that it was the one fish that I hand/ target fed and was the first fish in my new tank.

This question sounds lame to non r2r people but how have you all overcome the loss of a big fish?

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Warning: pity party

I lost my favorite fish today, my sf eel. I haven't lost a fish in over a year let alone my favorite. I never really dwelled over fish deaths as most have been out of my control but I think this one was a thiamine deficiency as I had just switched from fish filet to silversides as she got bigger which is on me. Also doesn't help that it was the one fish that I hand/ target fed and was the first fish in my new tank.

This question sounds lame to non r2r people but how have you all overcome the loss of a big fish?
Like any death, only time can help, but it’s ok to never forget. Only you can remember the good times, and those times will get you through

Upvote 0

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go lose $5,000 at a Blackjack table. You'll feel worse, making your loss today readjustable

season 14 crying GIF by The Bachelorette

Upvote 0

Mydoghasfleas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We put in so much work and energy to keep our fish happy. It’s only natural to have feeling for something you care for like that.

Upvote 0

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes it especially hurtful with an eel is they become so dependent on you alone for survival. My snowflake will mouth the other fish swarming around her food and always backs away until she has tested what I'm holding (in the giant tweezers) and made certain it's her food and not another fish. She didn't start out that way at all. She started out eating everything that smelled like food and that didn't jump away fast enough. It's like they digress with time into infants relying on being bottle fed.

I lost my first snowflake to ignorance and underestimating the size opening a small one can escape through. Didn't really have time to get attached to that one. But Eellie, man I'd hate to lose her!

@Dcal I don't have any real advice. Do the best you can and try again? Learn from this experience? About all you can do.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes it especially hurtful with an eel is they become so dependent on you alone for survival. My snowflake will mouth the other fish swarming around her food and always backs away until she has tested what I'm holding (in the giant tweezers) and made certain it's her food and not another fish. She didn't start out that way at all. She started out eating everything that smelled like food and that didn't jump away fast enough. It's like they digress with time into infants relying on being bottle fed.

I lost my first snowflake to ignorance and underestimating the size opening a small one can escape through. Didn't really have time to get attached to that one. But Eellie, man I'd hate to lose her!

@Dcal I don't have any real advice. Do the best you can and try again? Learn from this experience? About all you can do.
mine had the same name lol and behaved the same

Upvote 0

MeMyFishandI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have big fish, but I’ve had little fish with big personalities. I go through the emotions, beat myself up. I bury them in my garden and select a special plant or flower to mark their place. It them become’s so and so’s plant/flower and I say hello when I weed around them. Over time it hurts less. I’m sorry for your loss

Upvote 0

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have big fish, but I’ve had little fish with big personalities. I go through the emotions, beat myself up. I bury them in my garden and select a special plant or flower to mark their place. It them become’s so and so’s plant/flower and I say hello when I weed around them. Over time it hurts less. I’m sorry for your loss
Mine go into my garden with flowers as well!

Upvote 0

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry for your loss!! Time helps ease the pain but you never forget the ones that captured your heart. I still remember and hugely miss them everytime I look in my tank and see they're not there and I still beat myself up for the loss of the ones that were my fault. I don't think time ever heals those losses. I also think there is more of a bond with the ones you target feed so of course you feel their loss more.

I'm sure everyone on here can empathize!

Upvote 0
Back