How helpful would you say clams are with filtration?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I know derasas are known for being good to help with filtration, but how good are they? What do they usually help with? Are other clams helpful for this purpose as well?

1 - clam -Dyonopses.jpg

Photo by @Dyonopses

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following,

This is something I have been interested in for a long time.

If it would be ok, I would also be interested if we could get some feedback on what parameters we think the clams are filtering out. I would guess No3, but how much impact on Po4? How much of the other elements like iodine or iron are they also taking?

Just some thoughts? I always thought a fuge consisting of clams would be great.

Hope I did not go crazy Daniel.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Clams are not for the beginner but can do will wel as long as tank is stable and you meet their needs (alk-salinity-ph-Temp). One of the best things about clams, is that, in addition to the outrageous colors of these specimens, the clam itself removes nitrates from the water. Clams are constantly filtering the aquarium water, meaning that a tank with one or more clams can be a more stable and healthy environment.
I’m not suggesting to go out and buy a clam as a quick fix for a nitrate problem, but clams can help a well-functioning reef function even better.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how helpful this is but I have seen a few Coldwater reefs where they'll stuff a ton of live mussels in the sump for filtration. Such a cool set up. I assume your clams are similar (to some extent)

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams are not for the beginner but can do will wel as long as tank is stable and you meet their needs (alk-salinity-ph-Temp). One of the best things about clams, is that, in addition to the outrageous colors of these specimens, the clam itself removes nitrates from the water. Clams are constantly filtering the aquarium water, meaning that a tank with one or more clams can be a more stable and healthy environment.
I’m not suggesting to go out and buy a clam as a quick fix for a nitrate problem, but clams can help a well-functioning reef function even better.

I just ordered 5 . :D

Another question if I may. Is the amount it filters enough to ofset any waste it may produce? Or does it not produce any? Sorry, I am new to clams but have always loved them.

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how helpful this is but I have seen a few Coldwater reefs where they'll stuff a ton of live mussels in the sump for filtration. Such a cool set up. I assume your clams are similar (to some extent)
I wanna try some of those in the twenty gallon long I’m gonna do. I know some that like warmer waters, even up to 88° F

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just me or is there a popular member on here who uses a large number of oysters (or something) for his filteration.....

Ill admit....they look effective :)

It's @Dr. Dendrostein I think. I haven't used them myself, but the idea seems much better than clams, so I'm definitely going to try a bag of them in the sump for my 180. The pros are:

1) Cheap
2) You don't need to worry about lighting
3) Mulm feeds corals
4) Get all their energy from nutrients in the water instead of photosynthesis (so don't introduce byproducts of photosynthesis)
5) I don't know if they're easier to take care of, but again... cheap.
6) If your eel looks hungry or you want to make a bouillabaisse, you don't need to go to the supermarket, just pop downstairs.

Clams are pretty, but I'd be thinking more about their place in the display/how they would add to the visual appeal, and less about whatever filtration they provide.

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zebra Mussels cleaned the great lakes so why couldn't clams help clean an aquarium?

I won't be able to keep clams in my DT so am planning on setting up a clam display 'fuge. If it helps filter that's just icing on the cake...as long as it looks cool doing it! ;)

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just ordered 5 . :D

Another question if I may. Is the amount it filters enough to ofset any waste it may produce? Or does it not produce any? Sorry, I am new to clams but have always loved them.
Will be available but not significant. They fiilter slowly. very little waste produced by clams.
Requirements:

salinity not to exceed 1.025
ph not to exceed 8.3
alk not to exceed 9
temp not to exceed 80

assure there are no snails (pyramid snails) on or near them
Feed phytoplankton regularly

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Will be available but not significant. They fiilter slowly. very little waste produced by clams.
Requirements:

salinity not to exceed 1.025
ph not to exceed 8.3
alk not to exceed 9
temp not to exceed 80
Provide good lighting
assure there are no snails (pyramid snails) on or near them
Feed phytoplankton regularly

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept clams above 1.025, well above. IME they react worse to low salinity.
Either way, I like having them and hope they help overall. Kept many from 2" to XL. Current is a Squomosa 2.5 years was 2.25" now about 8". Last was a Derasa about 16" when I sold it.

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some extra space in my sump... Thinking of maybe throwing some oysters in there.

Currently have 3 clams (maxima, derasa & croccea) in our DT, but can't comment on how much they're helping with filtration.

Following along!

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small hippopus. I was having a nitrate & general clarity issue so I started up a refugium & added the hippopus after watching some very enlightening youtube videos about them. Not sure which made the bigger difference but nitrates have dropped and the tank is much clearer. I also had calcium levels THROUGH THE ROOF for some reason and those are back to normal finally. I attribute that one to the clam growth for sure lol

Back