How high do you position the gate between the main section of the V3 sump & the pump chamber?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is like a which came first question, the chicken or the egg. o_O

I have the V3 sump on my Reefer 250 and as you know if I push the gate down less water goes into the pump section of the sump and if it is raised more water enters. I am trying to find the sweet spot between the gate height, the water flow controlled by the RS valve and the Vectra S1 pump's power setting. Right now after playing with the gate I have approximately 6.5 inches of water in the pump section, should I leave the gate where it is and play with the RS valve and Vectra S1 to get the right flow or should I be adjusting the pump and RS valve before changing the gate's height?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screen Shot 2019-03-26 at 9.45.24 PM.png

OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on your skimmer. I set that gate at 8.5 inches the depth that is recomended for my skimmer. I also have a 250 with the v3 sump.

Thanks for the quick reply, please clarify, is it 8.5 inches from the bottom of the sump to the top of the gate or is 8.5 the height of the water in the pump section of the sump.

Also what brand is your skimmer?

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick reply, please clarify, is it 8.5 inches from the bottom of the sump to the top of the gate or is 8.5 the height of the water in the pump section of the sump.

Also what brand is your skimmer?
In the return pump section that is equal to the RedSea ATO float . I trashed their ATO and went with a remote ATO setup. I use the gate that is between the Return and the skimmer setting at 8.5 inches as that is what is recommended for my skimmer (AquaMaxx FS-80) . I then am using the Refug section. The return pump I am using is a ReefOcto Varios 2.

OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the return pump section that is equal to the RedSea ATO float . I trashed their ATO and went with a remote ATO setup. I use the gate that is between the Return and the skimmer setting at 8.5 inches as that is what is recommended for my skimmer (AquaMaxx FS-80) . I then am using the Refug section. The return pump I am using is a ReefOcto Varios 2.

Would it be possible for you to post some pictures of your setup?
Also are you using their media cups or their filter bags? If the media cups what are you placing inside of them?

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also set the gate height for the you skimmer that you use. When filling the tank fill the tank with all pumps off let it fill the sump to what looks like everything you want is set . Skimmer section and return pump section Turn in the skimmer as it will take up some water volume. The start adjusting the FLOW valve SLOWLY to get the flow running quietly. Turning the Flow vale to the right decreases the flow from the tank and turning it to the left opens up the flow. Make small adjustments each time and wait about 5 min between the adjustments for it to settle down. I put a small plastic measuring stick in the return section of the sump so I could easily see that water level and use it as a reference to the height in the return section. Once that is stable and flow is quiet you are good to go. REMBER VERY SMALL adjustments and wait

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using one media cup and I run Chemi Pure Blue in it and I use one filter sock and change out that sock every 2 to 3 days. If was was doing again and I am still thinking about is cutting out the glass in the sump between where the water comes in and where the sock and cup holder is and installing a Clarisea filter roller I will see if I can get some pictures posted as I am at work ATM.

OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also set the gate height for the you skimmer that you use. When filling the tank fill the tank with all pumps off let it fill the sump to what looks like everything you want is set . Skimmer section and return pump section Turn in the skimmer as it will take up some water volume. The start adjusting the FLOW valve SLOWLY to get the flow running quietly. Turning the Flow vale to the right decreases the flow from the tank and turning it to the left opens up the flow. Make small adjustments each time and wait about 5 min between the adjustments for it to settle down. I put a small plastic measuring stick in the return section of the sump so I could easily see that water level and use it as a reference to the height in the return section. Once that is stable and flow is quiet you are good to go. REMBER VERY SMALL adjustments and wait

Thanks for the tip, I have learned how sensitive that valve is. :(

My LFS is installing the skimmer on their next visit, it is the new Red Sea RSK-300. I will watch carefully and make sure he follows your recommendations.

The installer wants the flow in the sump to be really strong and as a result the water level in the overflow area is well below the emergency drain pipe. I personally think it is too loud but the installer says I should have the water rushing into the media cups and not a more gentle flow. This is confusing to me as everyone says to have the water level in the overflow about 1/2-1 inch below the emergency drain pipe and it will be quiet.

OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using one media cup and I run Chemi Pure Blue in it and I use one filter sock and change out that sock every 2 to 3 days. If was was doing again and I am still thinking about is cutting out the glass in the sump between where the water comes in and where the sock and cup holder is and installing a Clarisea filter roller I will see if I can get some pictures posted as I am at work ATM.

I went with a second media cup. I placed Chemi Pure Blue in one and I cut out some floss and placed it into the other one.

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tip, I have learned how sensitive that valve is. :(

My LFS is installing the skimmer on their next visit, it is the new Red Sea RSK-300. I will watch carefully and make sure he follows your recommendations.

The installer wants the flow in the sump to be really strong and as a result the water level in the overflow area is well below the emergency drain pipe. I personally think it is too loud but the installer says I should have the water rushing into the media cups and not a more gentle flow. This is confusing to me as everyone says to have the water level in the overflow about 1/2-1 inch below the emergency drain pipe and it will be quiet.

You do want that water level in the overflow about 1/2" below the emergency overflow this will make it totally quiet and you will not suffer any lack of flow because of it. If anything setting the flow to low in the overflow will eventually decrease overall flow

OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do want that water level in the overflow about 1/2" below the emergency overflow this will make it totally quiet and you will not suffer any lack of flow because of it. If anything setting the flow to low in the overflow will eventually decrease overall flow

That's what I thought, the installer keeps on insisting that the faster the flow in the sump section going to the cups the better it is.

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also added a IM 300ml reactor in the skimmer area and can run additional GFO if needed . Also in the Fog area I have I marine pure plate and 3 Britewell Xport cubes or you could use the Marinepure ones for added Biofiltartion. I actually added one of the as well in the media cub to keep the bag on Chemi pure higher so I get more flow through the bag and not just bypassing.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 117 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back