How high to set my protein skimmer cup?

ScubaSteve4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
How do I know how high to set my new skimmer collection cup? I have a reef octopus 100 HOB protein skimmer. I got it two days ago and right when I plugged it in it worked awesome with bubbling over the edge but now it hasn't bubbled over for awhile, only about halway up the inner tube. Is there a break-in process I need to do or a certain height to set my collection cup. I have it completely lowered at the moment.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Yes there is a breaking time of about a week.

Did a search and this is what I came up with, should help link

canister guy

View Badges
Reaction score
How do I know how high to set my new skimmer collection cup? I have a reef octopus 100 HOB protein skimmer. I got it two days ago and right when I plugged it in it worked awesome with bubbling over the edge but now it hasn't bubbled over for awhile, only about halway up the inner tube. Is there a break-in process I need to do or a certain height to set my collection cup. I have it completely lowered at the moment.
When you start to see the microbubbles disappear skimmer is prob broke in. I have the hob1000 and it skims like crazy.

Can you run a a successful reef long term without some type of reactor and media?

• Yes

Votes: 270 72.6%
  • No

Votes: 43 11.6%
  • Not sure

Votes: 59 15.9%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Build a Better Aquarium at Marine Depot
Lotus Reef