How I can take care of a Picasso triggerfish?

Picasso the Triggerfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I tried searching information about how to take care of a Picasso triggerfish almost everywhere, but I did not found anything about this gorgeous looking fish at all, so I need your help for taking care of one of these triggerfish, mainly I need the following parameters to know how to take care of this guy:
1. Ph levels that needs.
2. Liters/Gallons that needs for 1 specimen
3. Gh levels that needs.
4. Kh levels that needs.
5. Any extra parameter levels that needs
6. Salinity levels that needs.
7. Fishes/invertebrates that can live with Picasso triggers with no problems.
Thank you so much to everyone that can help me.

Last edited:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are pretty easy to take care of, very hardy, just normal tank parameters, nothing special. They do grow slowly but can get pretty aggressive when they get toward 5". While some try and keep these guys in smaller tanks, they will need at least a 6' tank, 180g recommended, but if lightly stocked you can get away with 125g. Tankmates should be considered aggressive or at least bold; other triggers, tangs, angels, lionfish, betta, foxface, some wrasses like harlequin tusk. Don't get misled by reports of keeping a juvenile vs a long term adult. Urchins are ok, other inverts not; shrimp and crabs a tasty snack. Sometimes you can get snails by them if they are in the tank 1st or introduced after bedtime, but they will snack them as well.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And butterflies can live with this triggerfish too?

The only butterfly I would put with a trigger is a raccoon. Their eating style and temperment would not do well with the aggressive style of a trigger, nor are they tough enough to stand up to a rough.

OP
OP
Picasso the Triggerfish

Picasso the Triggerfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only butterfly I would put with a trigger is a raccoon. Their eating style and temperment would not do well with the aggressive style of a trigger, nor are they tough enough to stand up to a rough.
Thank you, I was thinking on placing Racoon Butters with the Picasso Trigger

OP
OP
Picasso the Triggerfish

Picasso the Triggerfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I can place this fish (invert) with my Picasso Trigger in a 450 L (~120G)?:
1 Dog-face puffer.
1 Hardy tang.
1 Foxface Lo.
1 Snowflake eel.
1 Large Blue Tuxedo Urchin.
Which fish (invert) I have to remove if there is one that can´t live with the Picasso Trigger or can annoy the Picasso Trigger and what alternative of said fish can live with the Picasso Trigger and not annoy it?

Last edited:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a picasso, foxface lo, and a dogface in my 210g. I also have a scopus tang, which is a nice smaller tang, pics dont do them justice and I like the perfect spade shape. While the 120g is on the smaller if you keep lightly stocked, this is a nice list. Put some snails and hermit crabs in and see if they last, if not, it's a good snack and something to keep them entertained. Put them in 1st or don't let them see you put them in, they will inspect anything you add. Every once in a while I'll see a hermit that must be pretty sneaky, then I'll also see the trigg with one by the leg trying to shake him out the shell.

OP
OP
Picasso the Triggerfish

Picasso the Triggerfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a picasso, foxface lo, and a dogface in my 210g. I also have a scopus tang, which is a nice smaller tang, pics dont do them justice and I like the perfect spade shape. While the 120g is on the smaller if you keep lightly stocked, this is a nice list. Put some snails and hermit crabs in and see if they last, if not, it's a good snack and something to keep them entertained. Put them in 1st or don't let them see you put them in, they will inspect anything you add. Every once in a while I'll see a hermit that must be pretty sneaky, then I'll also see the trigg with one by the leg trying to shake him out the shell.
Thank you, it will be good idea to place a snowflake eel?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In reality the only concern is going to be the picasso, so I would just do him last. Try to size evryone compatible and a get a smaller snowflake to start, doesnt have to be tiny just not fully mature.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you ordering online, if so I'd likely go with a med. If you order a large you may get full grown one. I just wouldn't want one much more 12-14" max. The reason I don;t like putting fully grown eels in home aquaria, is because they have too much wild in them. They generally have a harder time adjusting to captivity, more difficult to feed dead food, and more of a risk of attempting to treat their tank mates as food.

OP
OP
Picasso the Triggerfish

Picasso the Triggerfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you ordering online, if so I'd likely go with a med
Yes, im ordering online, also, what is a med?
I just wouldn't want one much more 12-14" max.
Thank you for saying the size you recomend.
For now the list of the fish introduced first to least is:
1. Snails and Hermit Crabs.
2. Large BTU.
3. Foxface Lo.
4. Hardy tang.
5. Dogface Puffer.
6 M-sized SE.
7. Picasso Trigger

Back