How I culture pods, a introduction for those that are interested in doing the same

tricky_tran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Author is suggesting to throw away old water though.
here is an article i was reading last night after i read this one.

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That one is really good read !!! Old (since 2008 last upd. 2011), but it's one of the best I ever seen.
Thanks @tricky_tran.
And if you don't want to be that fanci (making that much and to be that precious on them, @living_tribunal method is good enough for basic or more needs.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Been using this method for a couple years now. Way easier, and no need for light. The ambient room temp and light is plenty. Plus you can buy real phyto paste from that website, and everything you need besides the 5G pails, and actual pods for startup.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, you can buy everything you need to start culturing pods for about the price of 1 jar of pods on algaebarn.

I understand not everyone has the room, or the desire to culture their own pods, but it really is simple, and only takes as much space as 2 5G pails.

hollback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
You don't need light or air. They will thrive in just a 5 gallon bucket with live phyto.

I have had the same cultures of copepods going since 2004. Here is how I have had my cultures set up.

Spankdogg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where does one obtain these in-line air filters? I have looked everywhere and even bought some from amazon to find they are too big. Please advise and thank you for the great thread.

FragileReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a killer guide! And I'm gonna start using a bit of reefroids to my cultures too. Most copepods are a bit cannibalistic especially when hungry and that can fill the gap. I've been running a few cultures for 6 months and found it to be easier than I expected. I bought a few seives and now work with a few animals but found the care to be all the exact same. I've got rotifers (53micron) Tiggerpods (120/300 micron) brine shrimp (120/500 micron). My needs are a bit different so I harvest differently. When culture is booming I seive 95% of my culture, I take the adults and gunky 5% of the old culture and add that to a fresh clean new saltwater culture. I feed out the baby copepods to my tanks and keep the breeders.

The OP's harvest method works best to have a steady supply, I like to have big blooms and not touch my cultures as often. But try your hands at live foods it's easy and changes the hobby for you. People love to joke that they feed better food to the reef that themselves. But this is the real best food and it's not that hard to give.

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody know how much reef roids he used in culture I'm trying this in a 3g tank but don't wanna foul water and kill off pods I'm not having a explosive amount of reproduction and I been doing it for 3.5 weeks. But maybe I'm fouling water or not feeding enough. I was using spirulina powder but I wanna try the reef roids

hollback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Anybody know how much reef roids he used in culture I'm trying this in a 3g tank but don't wanna foul water and kill off pods I'm not having a explosive amount of reproduction and I been doing it for 3.5 weeks. But maybe I'm fouling water or not feeding enough. I was using spirulina powder but I wanna try the reef roids
What species are you culturing?

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When OP says fresh saltwater can i use the saltwater i store in a brute for auto water changes? It sits for a few weeks at a time and i dont clean the brute hardly ever, but its fresh...

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When OP says fresh saltwater can i use the saltwater i store in a brute for auto water changes? It sits for a few weeks at a time and i dont clean the brute hardly ever, but its fresh...
That's fine yes. Just mixed saltwater

Guess nobody has a answer how much reef roids they feed. Mystery I guess I'll try again and hope not to crash

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thousands of pods in My Aquarium Alcatraz (the place where unwanted critters go lol). I feed them sprilina and keep the temperature 77 degrees. I also have live Brine shrimp and Asterina Star fish in the there.

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed around a teaspoon of spirulina once every three days and they are thriving.

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed around a teaspoon of spirulina once every three days and they are thriving.
How much water is your culture. My culture hasn't exploded. But I was doing a tiny test kid spoon every other day. So clearly it's not to much to foul water. Maybe I was under feeding in 3g of water??

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much water is your culture. My culture hasn't exploded. But I was doing a tiny test kid spoon every other day. So clearly it's not to much to foul water. Maybe I was under feeding in 3g of water??
I have a 5 gallon Petco tank that I'm using. Started off breeding live brine shrimp to feed my fish and then pods absolutely took over. I do water changes just to get rid of some of them. I also have a sponge filter and heater in the tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back