How I deal with Pyram snails, the Giant Clam parasitic snails.

twiatr2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
no big deal, thank you again for all the info, its very helpful, hand surgery sucks, I now I had some about a year ago, very painful, once again thank you and get some rest especially with the hand.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for sharing your knowledge @OrionN!

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are also free living snails that looks very similar to these parasites, so just because you see a small white snail crawling in a clam-less tank, does not mean these are parasitic snails.

thank you for the detailed tutorial. i quickly got smitten with tridacna clams when i got back into the hobby. i respectfully offer the attached pic that i saved some time ago (apologies i don’t know to whom i should credit the pic). at least i hope it helps people avoid any unnecessary worry about whether or not they have pyramidellid snails.

1594513919642.png

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this detail information and picture.
there are also Pyram snails that prey on snails. IME, these Pyram snails do not prey on clams. The parasites are genus specific IMO. Manual removal is also the best way to deal with these snail parasites.

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wild caught Noae clam have acclimated to my tank and start growing as seen in the picture below. I expect no further problem. If he died it is because of disaster or stupidity from me.
0951C641-F87E-4845-A15E-62EA055A3783.jpeg

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reading everything I can about clams so I can be successful with them. Those little snails are nasty. I seen that you keep your clam out of the water quite a bit with no ill effects during the snail removal process. When you first get the clam what is your process of acclimation? And do you acclimate the clam before you start freeing it of any pests?

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reading everything I can about clams so I can be successful with them. Those little snails are nasty. I seen that you keep your clam out of the water quite a bit with no ill effects during the snail removal process. When you first get the clam what is your process of acclimation? And do you acclimate the clam before you start freeing it of any pests?
In this case I keep the clam in my QT system for almost a week before I have time to work on him and clean the shell and remove all the Pyramids. It is better if you do this before put them in the tank to make sure none of the parasites get into your tank. Since I have a DT system and have no clams in it. Loosing a few parasites in there will not be a problem, they just starve, thus dead either way.
While cleaning the clam I have a bucket of tank water to rinse him as I clean him, to make sure I get everything.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, you put a lot into your system and it shows. Awesome

Shelley

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was almost 1 year ago when I got this Noae. He is growing and is doing very well in my DT once all the parasites were removed. Here are pictures of him right next to my Gigas today.
33908F00-BEBD-4873-9C14-1BF62DFFACE1.jpeg
776739E7-35A3-4264-BEEF-702E1CE92E1D.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 61 85.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.2%
Back