How I degas co2 from my ro/di water

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have had to deal with burning through my di resin like crazy over the past few years being on well water. I would use almost a resin refill in a little over 40-50 gallons of water. The only explanation was co2 in my well water. I knew I needed to rid the co2 before going into my resin. I decided to have a holding tank with straight well water on a float system. In that tank I have an airpump with an airstone running 24/7 which vents off the co2. I have a small 24 volt submersible pump in that tank that pumps to my ro booster pump. From there on out the system works normally like a standard ro/di filter system. My booster pump is turned on and off with a pressure switch that is very common with booster pumps. I use the power supply that turns on the main booster pump to also power up the submersible pump that is in the holding tank, that is why I went with a 24 volt submersible pump. I have made several 30 gallons worth of water and only used about 1 in of resin in the cartridge for each water change. So I feel this has been a great addition to my water system. Should save a lot of money over the years in the costs of di resin. Hope this can help someone who is fighting co2 issues.
Jeff

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had to deal with burning through my di resin like crazy over the past few years being on well water. I would use almost a resin refill in a little over 40-50 gallons of water. The only explanation was co2 in my well water. I knew I needed to rid the co2 before going into my resin. I decided to have a holding tank with straight well water on a float system. In that tank I have an airpump with an airstone running 24/7 which vents off the co2. I have a small 24 volt submersible pump in that tank that pumps to my ro booster pump. From there on out the system works normally like a standard ro/di filter system. My booster pump is turned on and off with a pressure switch that is very common with booster pumps. I use the power supply that turns on the main booster pump to also power up the submersible pump that is in the holding tank, that is why I went with a 24 volt submersible pump. I have made several 30 gallons worth of water and only used about 1 in of resin in the cartridge for each water change. So I feel this has been a great addition to my water system. Should save a lot of money over the years in the costs of di resin. Hope this can help someone who is fighting co2 issues.
Jeff
You can recharge your DI resins for even greater cost savings, FYI.

OP
OP
coralbeauties

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have also added a separate anion and cation filter. I did the recharging thing for awhile but doing the mixed resin was a pain to deal with. The last batch of anion I did I couldn’t get my tds below 10 with it. I left it in the lye for days before rinsing , not sure if that played a factor in it but ended up throwing it away.
Jeff

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back