How I saved my livestock on Thanksgiving Day!

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As in another brand, at least that would be my choice. I feel bad for people that have these tanks. I would be a nervous wreck if I had one in my house. I know if you look at percentages it's a small amount but I have not heard of any other manufacturer with this many failures. I have one red sea tank but it is a reefer 170 and I haven't heard of them failing but I still check the seams and will probably not buy another.
I was hoping to get one of their peninsula tanks in the not too distant future, but will definitely look elsewhere. I, too, understand that it’s a small percentage that fail, but that’s too much for me, especially at the 100g, or so, level that I’d plan to upgrade to.

WallyTime7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As in another brand, at least that would be my choice. I feel bad for people that have these tanks. I would be a nervous wreck if I had one in my house. I know if you look at percentages it's a small amount but I have not heard of any other manufacturer with this many failures. I have one red sea tank but it is a reefer 170 and I haven't heard of them failing but I still check the seams and will probably not buy another.
I legit put an order for a 525 on Monday that I'm going to cancel. Going WBox 130 or the 180. Wish they had a size in between like the 525.

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I legit put an order for a 525 on Monday that I'm going to cancel. Going WBox 130 or the 180. Wish they had a size in between like the 525.
Just so you know, WB has the same build style. They are virtually the same style of tanks and are having the exact same seam issues. The difference is that they don't have the sheer numbers of tanks out there so you don't hear of the problems as often. My opinion is that going from Red Sea to WB does not change the risk factor. You might want to look at something that has a form of bracing.

OP
OP
Difrano

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you should cancel, the G2 has more safety in place than WB.

I don't want this Thread to become a window to trash the manufacturer, my intention here is to have a procedure that anyone else can follow to try to save a failing tank. The manufacturer has gone above and beyond with their tech support and my new tank is already shipped.

I was hoping to get one of their peninsula tanks in the not too distant future, but will definitely look elsewhere. I, too, understand that it’s a small percentage that fail, but that’s too much for me, especially at the 100g, or so, level that I’d plan to upgrade to.
Again, do your research, and don't make decisions based on one person experience. Any tank has a risk of failure.

Have to ask, is your tank on carpet or hardwood/concrete? Curious if there's any correlation to how the cabinet sits with pressure on the front portion of the display cabinet.

Concrete and tile 1st floor.

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great use of resources at hand, including software!

Glad to hear you didn't loose all the livestock and the manufacture is stepping up and taking care of you.

I'm surprised to hear about the failures in these high-end tanks, is it related to the rimless unbraced design? I know you only hear the bad stories on the internet and that for every tank with a bad seam there are probably 100+ that are fine. But it seems the cheap chain store tanks last as good or better than the top shelf ones.

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: This post is not to compare or trash any tank manufacturer brand, please refrain to make comments on that line. I just want to show how a tank can be tweaked after a problem like this, so if any other member of the community has the same issue, they can try some of the solutions I did.
Cheers

Hello all!

It's been a while since I posted here but I have an interesting story about what happened to my tank on Thanksgiving Day:

We came back home from my brother-in-law dinner and as soon as I opened the door and heard the sound of water running my worst nightmare came alive, I rushed to the living room just to splash on a big pool of water, and as soon as I looked at my tank, I noticed a fine stream of water running form the middle low front of the tank, I rushed to find and clear a 5 gal bucket and place it under the stream as you can see on this video:

At the moment of the video the tank might had lost around 1/4 of the water around 15 gals. Now I found myself on Thanksgiving Day 8 PM with a leaking tank and nothing is open to be able to buy anything, I did not have a big brute tote and only a few 5-gals bucket, so I needed to think quick. As the 5-gal bucket was filling I was adding the water manually from the bucket to the DT, I also turned off everything on my apex less the 2 Vortech pumps and the sky light.

Digging into my garage I found a tube of aquarium safe silicone I used on my old 55 G freshwater tank I had a few years ago, since I did not have enough space to move all the rocks and the livestock, I decided to give a shot and try to plug the hole using the silicone, I thought it will not work because i was trying to plug running water with fresh silicone, but it worked I pushed a lot of silicone into the hole and was able to see how it filled the seam and the water slowing was slowing down until it did not leak anymore:

Temporary fix 2.jpeg

Temporary fix.jpeg

So, I decided to sleep in the couch that night to be able to hear if the tank was leaking again, but what woke me up at 3 AM was not the sound of water running but instead lots of electrical clicking noises, when I went to see what was going on the Apex controller was alternating all colors and resetting every minute or less same for the EB832, so the Vortech were turning on and off and the sky light too, I spent 1 hour trying to diagnose but was not able to find the issue and decided it was a next day problem, so I unplugged everything and plugged the 1 MP40 straight to the wall.

Next morning, I was surprised that the seam fix was still holding, so I focused on understanding what was going on with my apex, I dismantled all the electrical wiring and only left the Apex and the EB832, to my relief it started working again and was able to use the fusion, at least the apex was not damaged and after a few hours I identified that 1 of the USB cables between my FMM and the WXM was the issue, I removed the cable for a spare one I had and everything started working ok. Since the tank was bot leaking anymore, I tried to refill the tank to get the overflow and circulation pump working again... Very bad decision, as soon as I got around 1 gallon of water the seam started leaking again... so I removed the extra gallon from the DT and the leak reduced to a drip, I added more silicone and waited. In the meantime, I contacted the manufacturer support and noticed that a warranty claim would take at least 14 days to get me a replacement tank, so I had to decide between getting some brute totes and temporary build an emergency setup or try to make what I had work. So, I decided to go for the second option.

First, I wanted to re enable the recirculation pump, because I wanted to keep my sump and refuge alive, without circulation it will die and rot, Since the tank is a write off, I tried to drill the overflow to the new water level this way everything would have worked again, but the overflow box may be made with reinforced titanium because I was not able to make even a dent with drill, hammer drill, saw nothing worked, so I went for plan B, use siphon to transfer the water to the sump, I added a siphon between the DT and the overflow emergency drain:
Plumbing 4.jpeg
Plumbing 3.jpeg

This way I was able to turn the return pump on, but the flow was too low because of the diameter of the hose, so I added a second siphon:
Plumbing 2.jpeg

Plumbing 1.jpeg

I know what you are thinking, siphons are recipe for disaster I may drain the whole tank into the sump, but I got that covered because the tip of the siphons are only 1/10 of an inch under the water level, so if the return pump stops the siphon will break with only a few gallons transferred to the sump.

Now my next challenge came up, try to balance between the return pump and the supply to try keep a steady level on the sump, when we use the overflow the same amount of water that gets pumped into the DT returns to the sump, in my case this is not true because the siphon has a set flow that is not the same as the return pump, my pump is DC and I can control the speed but even there I was a little too fast and the sump was slowly draining or a little too slow and the sump was filling. So, I decided to use my ATO sensors and reprogram the return pump logic to do an on off control on the sump level, I set the speed a little faster than the siphons and when the level went lo it turned off to refill the sump chamber:

1669696637619.png

Next, I added a hose to the return nozzle to avoid the splashing sound:

Plumbing 5.jpeg

Plumbing 6.jpeg

So far everything is happy and working I hope the tank holds till a new one comes in, this is how it looks now:

Full Tank 1.jpeg

Plumbing 8.jpeg

Sorry for the dirty glass but I was having problems with too low nutrients and left it without cleaning for weeks, so my huge turbo snails have something to eat. Also, I have an asterina infestation that eat all my soft corals less than the GSP and the Palys...

Thanks for reading I have a few lessons learned from this experience that will not repeat on my next tank.
Wow, this post was more intense than most of the new movies I've watched this yr lol .

Good job being able to MacGyver the entire situation as it was happening.

As to the tank, I've had my share of incidents with some of my tank so I know somewhat what you went thru.

It seems that RS tanks have a 2 yr or time before anything like this can start happening.

I dont know what style/size of the RS tanks usually have this problem but im definitely going to start looking into replacing my XL 425 before is too late.

Good thing that RS is coming thru with a new replacement.

I remember when I was shopping for tanks that there was a brand that came with a bottom brace but was rimless top I just can't remember the brand name.

I will be following for updates on this saga.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so you know, WB has the same build style. They are virtually the same style of tanks and are having the exact same seam issues. The difference is that they don't have the sheer numbers of tanks out there so you don't hear of the problems as often. My opinion is that going from Red Sea to WB does not change the risk factor. You might want to look at something that has a form of bracing.
Can you provide links documenting seam failures on Waterbox tanks? I haven't come across any on this forum. Doesn't mean they aren't there, I just haven't seen them.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide links documenting seam failures on Waterbox tanks? I haven't come across any on this forum. Doesn't mean they aren't there, I just haven't seen them.
With no evidence provided to date, I'm going to have to conclude that Waterbox is not having the exact same seam issues.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't know that "nobody's dropped evidence in my lap" is a very good criteria for deciding something isn't happening.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know that "nobody's dropped evidence in my lap" is a very good criteria for deciding something isn't happening.
I read the forums daily and have not seen one post of a bottom seam failing on a Waterbox tank.

A claim was made, where is the supporting evidence?

WallyTime7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I read the forums daily and have not seen one post of a bottom seam failing on a Waterbox tank.

A claim was made, where is the supporting evidence?
This - completely agree. I think that's the RedSea owners trying to justify it or a dealer?
You can find anything on the internet and a simple search can't pull any results on the same WB issue.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back