How I spent my tax return

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As some of you know, I just came back from a week in the Keys. I thought I'd take some time to share my experience there observing and collecting local wildlife for study. This is by far my favorite place to be in this country.

Unfortunately, the Keys (and all of Florida) had a horrible cold snap in January. The water temp in some areas dropped 30 degrees. As you know from reefing, that kind of swing does a lot of damage. Thousands of fish, manatees, and sea turtles perished. A lot of the sensitive critters near shore moved if they could, but many simply died. Most of the tropical birds left. There was a lot less life than I was used to seeing. Sad as it was, if we looked hard enough, we were rewarded. This occurrence was natural and should recover with time. The water temp was in the 60’s the whole week – way below normal. I wore a wetsuit while snorkeling to find animals. It was amazing to see these things surviving in water that cold.

On past trips I made note of fun locations and found some new ones to visit as well. All the places we explored were public and most were near bridges. For those interested in the rules, here's a link to the Fish and Wildlife website: http://myfwc.com/RULESANDREGS/Saltwater_Regulations_recharvestmls.htm

Pretty simple and straightforward. No rock or corals. No protected species. Pretty much ornamental fish and clean up crews are okay. It’s taken me three trips worth of exploring to find decent areas accessible from shore and without needing any kind of watercraft.

Here’s where we stayed in Layton (Long Key):

DSC_0323.jpg

LOL, to give you an idea, the pic was taken from the other side of the bed, which is the near the door. This whole place was smaller than our bedroom. However, the view out the window was great:

DSC_0226.jpg

DSC_0228.jpg

That’s part of a marine sanctuary that lies within Long Key State Park. The place we rented was a private rental home with four units. There was a state park kayak trail through those mangroves.

While unloading our rental car, I thought a large insect flew in the trunk. Upon inspection around my bags, I saw movement in the gap to the spare tire compartment:

DSC_0254.jpg

This guy is who I startled. It’s a Cuban Anole. One of two species commonly seen in Florida running around during the day.

DSC_0259.jpg

He chilled out a bit when I finally caught him in the trunk. I was worried he was going to get in an inaccessible area.

DSC_0261.jpg

Here’s a land hermit that Leah found. This little guy was very curious and did not mind being handled.

DSC_0266.jpg

Nearby to where we were staying this is what the water looked like:

DSC_0283.jpg

At first glance it seems pretty devoid of anything of interest. Closer inspection though shows otherwise.

Little macro cluster on a shell. I should have taken more pics of the different kinds.

DSC_0273.jpg

Disclaimer: I’m going to be the first to admit that I lack common sense when something excites me. I saw this guy peer out of a group of partially submerged boulders on the shoreline. So I did what any intelligence-challenged person would do and knelt in the water and stuck my hand under the rock to catch him. He wasn’t so much waving at me as he was trying to take a finger off…
DSC_0267.jpg

This was so cool. You cannot tell a decorator crab from its surroundings if you had to. If they don’t move, you don’t see them. Like a marine sniper in a ghillie suit.

DSC_0277.jpg

I saw tons of little crabs like this. Some were drab, and some were pretty neat looking. These I could be a little more carefree with handling.

DSC_0281.jpg

Snot? Nope, just what it felt like. It’s a sea walnut – a member of the comb jelly family.

OP
OP
Jhildebrand

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSC_0288.jpg

Crown conch. Carnivore.

DSC_0290.jpg

Our first fishing excursion Leah caught us dinner. Here’s a pic of her first mangrove snapper. It was delish in seasoned cornmeal the next night.

DSC_0306.jpg

And my released red grouper.

DSC_0307.jpg

Sea stars. Echinaster sentus?

DSC_0309.jpg

This guy was just too cool. I had to risk the angry claws for a pic:

DSC_0311.jpg

Tulip snail. Predatory. A favorite shell of collectors and large hermit crabs. These guys get pretty big.

DSC_0316.jpg

You know what’s funny? When the retired people that are staying next door check out the odd guy from Wisconsin playing in the water like he’s five years old. Here I’m checking out sponges on a piece of live rock. It’s been illegal to collect for a long time, but I saw the coolest pieces of ledge rock in some areas. Florida rock is super dense, so unlike the rock we buy for our little reefs, this stuff is very heavy. Lots of interesting things to observe on and under rocks though.

DSC_0318.jpg

Here’s a baby of a Florida Spiny Lobster. Its adult relatives were close by under a ledge and with a flashlight we could see them milling around at night.

DSC_0319.jpg

DSC_0322.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jhildebrand

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We stopped at a fish market for couple of these guys fresh off the boat to enjoy while we watched a great Super Bowl.

Found this guy on a paddle through the mangroves near our house. They look like little Roomba vacuums as they shuffle the bottom looking for food. It takes about two seconds for one to disappear into the mud. It was cool to finally see one alive.

DSC_0140.jpg

DSC_0145.jpg

Tunicate cluster near mangroves. My paddle stirred up the sediment in the first pic.

DSC_0135.jpg

DSC_0139.jpg

Here’s a bluish anemone. We saw dozens of tube anemones, condies, and curlicue nems.

DSC_0224.jpg

This was what used to be one of my favorite sites in Islamorada. Due to the cold snap from January, there was only a fraction of the life in this area than the last time we were there two years ago. You can see the amount of hair algae on the rocks. Closer inspection revealed lettuce nudis amongst the green. Very cool. Some of the rocks that did not have algae were covered in aiptasia nems – hundreds of them. On the plus side, berghia nudis were happily munching away on these guys. My guess is the cold and subsequent die-off allowed the algae and nuisance nems to proliferate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psv7XPatlM0

Two years ago I saw damsels and baby angelfish in this spot. We did not see many fish this time. Under every rock there seemed to be a pile of urchin tests (skeleton) that surely died in that very spot from the cold. Also absent from most locations were brittle stars and snails. I hope the area recovers soon. Since we were only on the shorelines, I’m guessing that area was hardest hit in the shallow water.

At the Crane point natural area in Marathon we walked the nature trail known for it’s orb weaving spiders.

DSC_0155.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jhildebrand

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys were everywhere. Every time I ventured off a trail to check out the shoreline I ended up scampering back in a hurry after walking into a web. These guys are crazy web builders. Some were suspended in the middle of nowhere. Trees 20 feet apart? Yeah, I can build a web across that…

And the winner of the ‘my new favorite arachnid award’ goes to… Spinybacked Orbweaver. Coolest…spider…ever.

DSC_0178.jpg

I still have the heebie jeebies from walking into them though.

These stalked barnacles grow on floating stuff. These guys hitched on garbage and washed up.

DSC_0164.jpg

Eel? Snake? Still looking for positive ID on this skeleton. We found six of them. This one the skull was the size of my hand…

DSC_0166.jpg

Obligatory picture at southernmost point in US. We got married in Key West and it was nice to go back.

DSC_0197.jpg

Hit the Key West Aquarium while we were there. Had about a dozen nicely done fish only and reef tanks featuring local fish and corals. The tanks were well maintained and livestock was healthy. I should have taken some tank pics. Here’s a goofy looking squirrel.

DSC_0211.jpg

And the largest palys I’ve ever seen – silver dollar sized.

DSC_0213.jpg

They had an outdoor salt pond with a mature mangrove growing into it as well as a giant shark tank and tidepool touch tank. I guess I was a little camera lazy on this one.

Leah shrieked and called me down to the water when she spied this guy dining on a sea cucumber right outside our door.

DSC_0220.jpg

If you look closely you can see how this one barely survived at least on battle with a hungry bird. There were a lot of birds with stalked legs wading around the mangroves looking for crabs.

DSC_0221.jpg

Begging pelican at Robbie’s Marina:

DSC_0241.jpg

And getting eyeballed by a large tarpon hanging around the docks:

DSC_0244.jpg

WOOT! My favorite catch of the week! A doctorfish tang!

DSC_0230.jpg

Funny story: The first mate on the boat had a fit when I handled the fish and insisted on a picture. When I told him I was familiar with the razors on the tail he told me I didn’t know what I was talking about and that the tangs I had at home were “de-barbed” when they went to the pet store. Um, no sir, you are incorrect. He wanted me to use a big ‘ol towel to wrap around the fish to get the hook out and was irritated once again when I replied that it would be potentially detrimental to the health of the fish. He wasn’t a fan of mine the rest of the trip…

More to come soon J

shananigans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet pics (except for spiders :p) That skeleton looks like an alien! Thanks for sharing, looks like it was a lot of fun :)

Thunderstruck34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like you had a good trip despite the weather problem. Just had to one up the fishing boat guy didn't ya John.

ucantmakeme

Green Tips save lives
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This really makes me want to spend my tax return on a little Vacation aswell... Great pics and thanks for sharing!!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dude what a cool thread! Thoroughly enjoyed it so far!

mark_molly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing your vacation and stories and photos with us! It's really fun to read -- what interesting finds too!!
Can't wait for more :)
-Molly

jlinzmaier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool John!! Thanks for taking the time to share the experience with us!!

I know you were thinking about me and Eric when you were looking at those sponges. LOL!!

Remember that ball of snot we pulled from the rock in Mikes tank?? It turned out to be a nice sponge and very fast growing. I'll post some pics of it once I get things converted into a more easily viewed system (built into the new system). Still looks like a ball of snot but now shows several vents for water filtration.

Jeremy

ttpociask

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the educational trip, it was really neat to see, I've never had the opportunity to do that type of vacation.

evanjah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very cool john, really enjoyed seeing your pics. First mate sounded like a dork. hahaha, yah none of our tangs have barbs, riiiight.

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 38 30.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back