How I tuned my brand new Skimmer

Blitheran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello folks, I wanted to mention how I tuned my overflowing protein skimmer. I wanted to make a thread here, for people to reference in case they deal with this problem as well.

To begin, I received a brand new bubble magus curve 5 protein skimmer. I did not bother with vinegar soaking it or any of that jazz, I just tossed it in the sump and turned it on. I let it run fully open for about two days, and the overflowing would not let up.
63EBE512-C1AE-4CF1-9EC4-A86993B4FB28.jpeg

I started to grow impatient, I was scouring the internet looking for ways to remedy this problem! I wanted my skimmer to start skimming :)

I eventually noticed a post
by a fellow reefer and of course I forgot the name or where I got the info from, I found it deep in some thread. Please let me know who it was and where so I can give credit it to him/her!

The reefer mentioned how instead of raising or lowering the skimmer. Simply just decrease the amount of air allotted into the skimmer whilst it is breaking it.

This method is achieved my using a syringe with holes drilled every .5 as seen in the picture.
438A2630-A74D-4825-BFA7-EE6DD0552991.jpeg

I used tethlon tape to help hold it into place.

I then procceded to place it over the air intake silencer and utalize the syringe to decrease the amount of air allotted into the skimmer, till I was getting a bubble height to my liking.
FC1AF198-6F0C-4A6E-9800-788C24848554.jpeg

I let this sit for about 24 hours with minimal air allowed in the skimmer. I then procceded to allow a tad bit more air flow into the skimmer ever so slightly to notice any change in the bubble height, to no avail the bubbles didn’t change till I actually took off the syringe and the bubble level dropped, the skimmer being at maximum. Now I have an easily broken in skimmer which is very easy to fine tune!
2ECFF5B2-AB42-4D4F-B596-9E6314DFCED3.jpeg

Hope this helps, I’m not the best at explaining but I tried my best hope it helps someone out there!!

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Cool Idea but a small valve (pinch, ball or otherwise) on a short piece of hose would do the same.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to bust your bubble but that's what the valve in the line coming from your venturi is for lol. Great idea though for older models

Mines an older c9. I put a little line with a valve coming off the top but the syringe does the same thing

OP
OP
Blitheran

Blitheran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to bust your bubble but that's what the valve in the line coming from your venturi is for lol. Great idea though for older models

Mines an older c9. I put a little line with a valve coming off the top but the syringe does the same thing
Made it louder that is there just to extend the hose

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back