How important is it to match your parameters with your vendor's?

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many ways to skin a cat in this hobby, but I think most people will agree that there ranges for acceptable parameters, and the important thing is that you maintain consistency. But what if your parameters differ from where you buy your coral? For example, many (most?) people keep their tanks at 78 degrees, but I know a local coral grower who keeps his tanks at 75. His corals do very well in his tanks, but would they struggle when moving to my tank if I keep mine at 78? Same type question applies to other parameters - PH, Alk, Mag, ...

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok if he’s the only store or dealer you buy from . What if you had more than one dealer you were getting your coral from. You wouldn’t keep changing to accommodate them would you . Keep it steady and simple .

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the coral really.

Although in general that temp swing would be ok(just think of shipping corals, they don't stay a nice toasty 78). The major 3(or 5 depends on how you look at it) the coral will adjust to. You see it in SPS that go dormant when moving from system to system, then all of a sudden they stat to grow again.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
corals are very adaptable , as long as keep your parameters consistent and in range then a 10-15 acclimation is really all that is needed

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok sure, the corals won't die with a reasonable parameter swing. But doesn't it still make a difference? If your parameters are in line with what the coral is used to, would that mean that the coral would "hit the ground running", and continue to grow, vs laying dormant and stressed for (weeks? months?)...?

I'm not suggesting that I limit my purchases from a single vendor, but isn't it a consideration that if a vendor's parameters differ enough from yours, that it would be prudent to look elsewhere?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back