How important is monitoring pH?

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t currently monitor pH. How important is it to monitor pH? I use GFO which I’ve heard can affect it.

Looking to hear thoughts on what you do and if you think there’s any value to monitoring or testing it

Last edited:

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will get varied opinions on this. I monitor it for a few couple reasons. One is i use a calc reactor and i consider it a requirement in that scenario to identify if it has an issue.

Even without it though i like to make sure ph stays above a certain range(no lower than 7.8 at lowpoint). In my case i fall below that in the winter without my use of skimmer to an outside airline.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes there is some value in measuring/monitoring pH, especially if your dosing high-pH impact stuff such as Kalkwasser and/or using a CaCO3 reactor which may take you out of the acceptable range of 7.8-8.6.

Otherwise, if your tank is well aerated and house CO2 is in normal ranges your tank pH will be in an acceptable range.

pH cup aeration tests can be used to identify aeration issues.

It's been shown that higher pH can grow some corals faster.

Chasing pH can be done...

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your PH stays around 7.8-8.3 you do not need to constantly monitor it.

Some people like to keep their PH at 8.1-8.3 because it’s proven to improve the rate of calcification (thus, faster growth rate).

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KALK, Co2 scrubbers, airline going outside that your skimmer pulls from, dosing soda ash, or Randys new DIY 2 part that uses lye.

All will help in keeping up, and maintaining PH.

The JLP Experience

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are methods for raising and holding pH in that beneficial 8.1 - 8.3 range?

This article was actually published on 10/16 discussing this topic! The discussion was the most helpful to me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If auto dosing alk, should I monitor pH? As a way to make sure the doser gets stuck on. Im not sure how often that happens

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If auto dosing alk, should I monitor pH? As a way to make sure the doser gets stuck on. Im not sure how often that happens

Yes, that can be a useful way to monitor overdosing.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am trying to decide on a Hydros controller.

One has a monitor for PH and 2 extra sense ports (and is more expensive) and the other has 4 sense ports but no PH monitor.

Do you think it is worth getting the one that constantly monitors PH, or would a simple test kit suffice? Is constantly monitored PH something that I should really be concerned about?

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to decide on a Hydros controller.

One has a monitor for PH and 2 extra sense ports (and is more expensive) and the other has 4 sense ports but no PH monitor.

Do you think it is worth getting the one that constantly monitors PH, or would a simple test kit suffice? Is constantly monitored PH something that I should really be concerned about?

You usually want to monitor pH if you are dosing a high-pH or low-pH additive to ensure you don't overdose your tank one way or the other.

I'm using a pH monitor to tightly control my pH. However, other than some increased stability it's not something the hobby has identified as truly beneficial.

Nerdist Aquarist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH was something I never worried about until I actively tried to raise it. I'm dosing sodium hydroxide for my alkalinity, and got up to 8.55 pH before I decided to target a lower alk level of 8.5 instead of my usual 9.0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back