How important is QT'ing corals if you replace plugs, use CoralRX, and Bayer?

becky46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at some corals online, and I'm curious to hear how important a QT is once the corals are received. If you replace the plugs, scrub down the coral, dip with Bayer and CoralRX, how important is the QT step? Thanks.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm looking at some corals online, and I'm curious to hear how important a QT is once the corals are received. If you replace the plugs, scrub down the coral, dip with Bayer and CoralRX, how important is the QT step? Thanks.
My guess is you will get multiple different responses.

1. I cut coral plugs off (actually I cut the coral off the plug, and glue to new coral to rock.
2. I do not use any dips - when I have I have had problems.
3. I do not QT - but rather buy from reputable sources (i.e. an LFS) that has great coral, etc - so I do not 'need' to QT per se.

Online, to me, is a different animal (no pun intended) - If it is strictly a fishless, coral farm, that has propagated coral just from Frags over months, etc. I would not be concerned. If it was ocean grown coral, I would quarantine without the dips. Dipping only when necessary (i.e. a problem). Most people would say quarantine only from one source at a time (i.e. don't buy coral from store A, online B and online C and put them all together to QT at the same time. That can also lead to big problems

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back