How involved is your spouse/significant other with your hobby?

How involved is your spouse/significant other with your hobby?

• Not a fan. He/she probably wishes I’d find a different hobby. The word "obsessed" may have been used

Votes: 96 11.1%
  • Indifferent. He/she basically ignores the tank. No real interaction.

Votes: 113 13.1%
  • Encouraging. He/she likes that I like it. Might even go to the LFS with me.

Votes: 223 25.9%
  • Slightly involved. Not gonna do any “heavy lifting,” but he/she will feed the fish occasionally.

Votes: 218 25.3%
  • Pretty involved. We share tank tasks some, and they are learning the hobby.

Votes: 66 7.7%
  • Full-on reefer. We’re a reef team when it comes to designing and maintaining the reef!

Votes: 48 5.6%
  • MAKE IT STOP! I think he/she needs an intervention. The word "obsessed" comes to mind.

Votes: 8 0.9%
  • I'm Single. Nobody to judge my reef spending or time spent obsessing over 'just a fish tank'

Votes: 89 10.3%

• Total voters

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How involved is your spouse/significant other with your hobby? Vote in the poll above.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife like that it keeps me at home. When my kids were younger, she liked that we all could have a lesson, activity or go to the store together. She knows that there are worse hobbies that take more time, cost more money and take me away more often.

After saying all of that, I doubt that she has even looked in one of my tanks in a few years.

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm realizing that I don't even know how to answer this question. The last tank was coming down as I started getting serious with what is now my wife. I've mentioned to her that the bug has bitten again and she seems to be encouraging, so far. I'm certain though that she'll have nothing to do with the actual maintenance, once a tank is actually back up and running...

Fish Werx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife thinks I spend too much time in the tank, but also realizes that i could have much worse hobbies. Plus, she is getting her renovations she wants on the house, so she kind of looks the other way when I get a new acquisition for the tank..... For now!
My one saving grace is that my 4 year old son loves it! He may be more obsessed than me! Knows all the actual names of the fish and corals, not the "cartoon version" names... LOL! And she loves that he loves it... Actually going to work a day in to go to WWC when we hit Disney next year.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife will maybe glance at the tank when she walks past it...that's about it lol. My two children enjoy it a lot more than she does.

Giraffe0621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add an option to the poll for "Single -- aka nobody to judge my reef spending or time spent obsessing over 'just a fish tank' " ;)

Also seeing all these replies, I'm realizing that it seems like men greatly outnumber women on this forum (and maybe in reefing in general?). Any idea why?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wife says she doesn't care about the tank, yet wants to pick out things when i get new items and always stops to take a peak when she walks past it.
I wish my wife would at least be this involved lol

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Add an option to the poll for "Single -- aka nobody to judge my reef spending or time spent obsessing over 'just a fish tank' " ;)
Haha! Done!

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife definitely falls into the encouraging category. She knows I love it and she and the kids love looking at the tanks I've had. In fact, when I once contemplated getting out she said she'd divorce me lol! She actively helps budget for the tank. Like others have said, I think she knows there are far worse things I could spend time and money on. At least this is something the whole family can enjoy.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife got me a tank for Christmas and I set it up as a fresh water tank and was happy with it and then the itch came and 2 months later got another tank and started a reef. My wife asked the obvious question..... why didn't you set up a reef with the tank I got you? Lol. Gave her some answer that made her shake her head and now I have a reef tank and a freshwater with discus and angels :)
Told her she was an enabler and she told me I was full of

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha ha, enough that she's occasionally willing to do this if something goes wrong while I'm away.

Screenshot_20170522-233541.png

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back