How involved is your spouse/significant other with your hobby?

How involved is your spouse/significant other with your hobby?

• Not a fan. He/she probably wishes I’d find a different hobby. The word "obsessed" may have been used

Votes: 96 11.1%
  • Indifferent. He/she basically ignores the tank. No real interaction.

Votes: 113 13.1%
  • Encouraging. He/she likes that I like it. Might even go to the LFS with me.

Votes: 223 25.9%
  • Slightly involved. Not gonna do any “heavy lifting,” but he/she will feed the fish occasionally.

Votes: 218 25.3%
  • Pretty involved. We share tank tasks some, and they are learning the hobby.

Votes: 66 7.7%
  • Full-on reefer. We’re a reef team when it comes to designing and maintaining the reef!

Votes: 48 5.6%
  • MAKE IT STOP! I think he/she needs an intervention. The word "obsessed" comes to mind.

Votes: 8 0.9%
  • I'm Single. Nobody to judge my reef spending or time spent obsessing over 'just a fish tank'

Votes: 89 10.3%

• Total voters

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife enjoyed the tanks well enough, but never engaged in any maintenance, nor even fed the fish. She did have her favorites though, more about long and elegant fins than bright colors. Blue bettas. Black angelfish. I still like to have some elegant-finned fish in the tank, even though I currently fall under the "Nobody to judge my reef spending . . . " category - with the exception of the kids. (>__<)

~Bruce

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fiancee is starting to get more interested in different corals and she really likes my dwarf moray and my urchin. At first she "wanted nothing to do with all of these fish tanks", and just yesterday she said she really likes the nano macro tank I just set up.

bellasdad0911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife thinks it's a waste of time and money... always says I am way to involved and spend more time with the tank than her and our daughter... well for her yea it's the whole idea lol but not for my kid. I always say it's above her pay grade. She doesn't understand anything about it wouldn't have a clue or couldn't buy a clue. But hey I could be out drinking, or cheating or doing drugs or whatever else people do but instead I immerse myself in ocean life and find some peace and release in it. So it's my hobby leave it be. Lol

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's actually kind of exciting for me that I don't have to describe stuff to her anymore. I can just say, "hey will you check the skimmer?" and she knows what I mean. I think the defining moment of our marriage (8 1/2 years) was when I came home from work a couple weeks ago and she told me that "the powerhead was making a strange noise but she figured it was just another snail getting inside it" I've never been so proud :D:p

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My wife has a general understanding of the tank and it's equipment. She enjoys the fish. She also likes coral -- specifically the "ones that move".

On the other hand, she hates water changes and maintenance day. Hates quarantine. Hates me rambling about it. Hates when my brother-in-law is over and we only talk about reefing.

So... I guess you could say she is very supportive. :p

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a roller coaster ride for me and my wife. When things are going well she seems to check in on them alot more. When i have fish in every QT tank(like now) and i wind up working on things alot more than usual she gets annoyed. I guess its also when i wind up spending alot more than usual also. LOL

ShaunRobinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife like that it keeps me at home. When my kids were younger, she liked that we all could have a lesson, activity or go to the store together. She knows that there are worse hobbies that take more time, cost more money and take me away more often.

After saying all of that, I doubt that she has even looked in one of my tanks in a few years.
There are hobbies that cost more money?!:confused:

ShaunRobinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work away for 8 weeks at a time so it's probably more her tank than mine!:(She performs basic maintenance and tests etc and enjoys trips to the lfs where she will always pick something out. I just do all the dirty work when I get home.

I was even setting up a qt in the garage and she told me to put it in the house where she could 'keep an eye' on it easier.:)

cgdcinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are a reef team. I do all the work and she tells me what she thinks is wrong or needs attention. I do all the shopping for equipment. She picks corals. I pick fish. We research together. I do all the testing and husbandry. Team? I guess so. I’ll take it. [emoji4]

Ubergroover

Engineer by day, Musician/golfer/reefer by night
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife does not want to partake in any care taking, but she loves to point out the more colorful pieces that she feels would look good...She knows I like it so she is good with it. With winter coming and golf season winding down it gives me something to spend my spare time with. That for her is a good thing...lol

bsagea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my husband's hobby some 14 years ago. He had saltwater fish from the time he was a teenager and then got into the reef aspect after we moved to NC. He was happy with his 10 gal nano back then but I fell in love with the corals and ruined it for him! Three tanks later it has become another full time job for him on maintenance, dosing etc. I am hoping to get down to two tanks so that takes some of the burden off of him. I do what I can to help but in the scheme of things, it's not really that much.
bsa

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i started in the hobby after i got divorced. When i met my gf she didnt know anything about reef aquaria, but was very interested. I started showing her some things i do and a bunch of the sites i look at and YouTube channels i watch. She is very helpful and has built up a good knowledge base. As for maintenance thats still on me but she def. Reminds me when i need to do something. She is wanting the upgrade as much as me. I think the reasoning is to get closer to her dream tank of seahorses. Right now we are both reading oceanriders seahorse guide and its very informative. I love my gf. @asileenshadowwolf.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 65 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back