How involved is your spouse/significant other with your hobby?

How involved is your spouse/significant other with your hobby?

• Not a fan. He/she probably wishes I’d find a different hobby. The word "obsessed" may have been used

Votes: 96 11.1%
  • Indifferent. He/she basically ignores the tank. No real interaction.

Votes: 113 13.1%
  • Encouraging. He/she likes that I like it. Might even go to the LFS with me.

Votes: 223 25.9%
  • Slightly involved. Not gonna do any “heavy lifting,” but he/she will feed the fish occasionally.

Votes: 218 25.3%
  • Pretty involved. We share tank tasks some, and they are learning the hobby.

Votes: 66 7.7%
  • Full-on reefer. We’re a reef team when it comes to designing and maintaining the reef!

Votes: 48 5.6%
  • MAKE IT STOP! I think he/she needs an intervention. The word "obsessed" comes to mind.

Votes: 8 0.9%
  • I'm Single. Nobody to judge my reef spending or time spent obsessing over 'just a fish tank'

Votes: 89 10.3%

• Total voters

Katieandjon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were definitely lucky we get to to tick the reef team box! Me and my husband have the hobby together, and both love it as much as each other. The jobs have been split pretty nicely between us: I do the water testing, RODI and Salt water prep, equipment cleaning and most of the research and planning. He does everything that involves hands in the tank as his arms are twice as long as mine, all the electrics, water changes & tank cleaning, most of the feeding!

Pockets

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife is extremely involed shes always there to remind me im obsessed with a bowl of water and if i put as much research into marriage as i do a fish tank things would be better lol. Shes very informative of the harmful effects of uv light causing skin cancer in the living room. And is always trying to invent better ways of keeping the ocean in the ocean were its much better suited away from the dangers of glass cleaners and smelly air freshners. And is there to help remind that a power head or a new fish or coral isnt a important need as those are wants and that money could be spent on more important needs such as 30 dollar shampoos and new towels that will dry you faster than a normal towl. Or the importance of haveing 3 hair streighteners because you never know when your gonna grow a third arm. CAN YOU SMELL THR OCEAN BECAUSE IM ALITTLE SALTY. HAHAHA

trevormass7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife is extremely involed shes always there to remind me im obsessed with a bowl of water and if i put as much research into marriage as i do a fish tank things would be better lol. Shes very informative of the harmful effects of uv light causing skin cancer in the living room. And is always trying to invent better ways of keeping the ocean in the ocean were its much better suited away from the dangers of glass cleaners and smelly air freshners. And is there to help remind that a power head or a new fish or coral isnt a important need as those are wants and that money could be spent on more important needs such as 30 dollar shampoos and new towels that will dry you faster than a normal towl. Or the importance of haveing 3 hair streighteners because you never know when your gonna grow a third arm. CAN YOU SMELL THR OCEAN BECAUSE IM ALITTLE SALTY. HAHAHA
I died when I read the last sentence[emoji23]

Ftrain576

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being recently retired, I now find the wife complaining more about me spending less time with her.
Oh well , guess I'll just have to find ways to juggle the time between the 2.

JoeIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife is somewhere between "Pretty Involved" and "Full on reefer."

I am certainly "primary" on all things reef related, but she does anything I need to help and can take initiative when needed to care for the equipment and inhabitants, particularly when I am traveling. She has (educated, thought out) opinions on stocking and offers thoughts regarding maintenance regime. She is fully capable of performing any needed maintenance (except things requiring literal heavy lifting) and understands how and why all equipment works and the decisions that are made. She could easily maintain a running system without assistance.

She is involved in planning our "next" reef, has opinions on livestock and size, but leaves most details regarding equipment selection to me. Our current disagreement is "how big?" - She wants it to be 30% larger than I think is appropriate...

JoeIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's actually kind of exciting for me that I don't have to describe stuff to her anymore. I can just say, "hey will you check the skimmer?" and she knows what I mean. I think the defining moment of our marriage (8 1/2 years) was when I came home from work a couple weeks ago and she told me that "the powerhead was making a strange noise but she figured it was just another snail getting inside it" I've never been so proud :D:p

This reminds me of a proud moment last week - I had the skimmer off for a while because I was sick of it misbehaving and she took it upon herself to fire it back up and tune it to skim properly (for now) :)

She still won't clean it, but at least she got it running again.

SaltLifer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You left out "Likes to look at it but wishes I would stop buying **** to put in it" haha

FinnyGyrrl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How involved is your spouse/significant other with your hobby? Vote in the poll above.
My husband helps with the "heavy lifting" dutirs, for which I am extremely grateful!!! He shares "NO INTEREST WHATSOEVER"", which astonished and vexed me until...reading posts of other people's stocking nightmares (raccoon butterfly, anyone?!) in attempts to please others. Aah, bliss!! Selecting my own lighting, flow, substrate--aaah! Unless s-he's a marine biologist, buddy tanking miiiight be somewhat overrated! Beatrix Potter said, "Couples may garden together, but should have their own beds"!
A fond hope remains: the "hardware" appeal may develop. Passion for plumbing would be much appreciated ;)

becca10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband had one years ago and when it crashed, was done with the hobby. He tolerates my interest and tops off the water or brings me the water change buckets but that’s as far as it goes. I will take what I can get. [emoji4]

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back