How is everyone dosing Kalkwasser on a tank with no sump or has a all in one?

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are you saying I should have my doser pull from RODI into this reactor and then just let this drip into the tank? Will the doser provide enough power? In his example it looks like he may be using his ATO pump into the reactor.
Yes. Dose from RODI reservoir into this.

I don't own one so haven't tested flow requirements to get best saturation. Everything I read when I was considering that path, but ultimately went with 2 part was that you needed a pressure rated pump to overcome the back pressure of the settled kalk. Peristaltic pumps have exceptional head pressure (my dos is rated for 24ft).

OP
OP
mnosz

mnosz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Dose from RODI reservoir into this.

I don't own one so haven't tested flow requirements to get best saturation. Everything I read when I was considering that path, but ultimately went with 2 part was that you needed a pressure rated pump to overcome the back pressure of the settled kalk. Peristaltic pumps have exceptional head pressure (my dos is rated for 24ft).
From what you read do you think a DOS would be enough to mix it up? I am worried this won't be running that long. I have a DOS currently doing 2 part so I suppose I could probably knock that offline or buy another DOS or standalone pump. my PH is constantly dropping down into 7.8 range at night and if I am lucky I hit 8.05 at the end of the day so I am looking to try and help that out.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what you read do you think a DOS would be enough to mix it up? I am worried this won't be running that long. I have a DOS currently doing 2 part so I suppose I could probably knock that offline or buy another DOS or standalone pump. my PH is constantly dropping down into 7.8 range at night and if I am lucky I hit 8.05 at the end of the day so I am looking to try and help that out.
Before going the kalkwasser route have you tried switching your Alkalinity 2 part to hydroxide instead of bicarbonate?

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into the ATO option, connected to a Tunze Kalk reactor. The reactor can kept outside of the aquarium. I currently use a Tunze Osmolater along with the Tunze Kalk reactor and it is a great solution.

Or, you could go with an old school method of Kalk in a 5gl bucket connected to an aqualifter pump. You would need to attach a barbed drip valve to the end of the line going into the aquarium. Set the drip to your daily evaporation and fill up the bucket as needed. I did this very thing on a 50gl office tank. I was able to automatticlly top off the tank and supplement CA/ALK. Once a week I filled the bucket and once every month I would wash out the tube and valve as it can build up kalk. Be sure to have the kalk drip into an area of high flow. This is by far the cheapest and simplest of methods.

How large is your aquarium in gallons?

-Sonny
and you do not have to buy a kalk stir reactor. That $$ saved. No need to stir kalk if you are not adding more rodi water to the 5 gal or what ever size container you use. Just keep a lid on it. I use kalk as my foundation and then only have the GHL add additional Alk,CA and MG as needed..I also have two ecotech versa pumps, one for the kalk and one for ato(rodi) .
Look into the ATO option, connected to a Tunze Kalk reactor. The reactor can kept outside of the aquarium. I currently use a Tunze Osmolater along with the Tunze Kalk reactor and it is a great solution.

Or, you could go with an old school method of Kalk in a 5gl bucket connected to an aqualifter pump. You would need to attach a barbed drip valve to the end of the line going into the aquarium. Set the drip to your daily evaporation and fill up the bucket as needed. I did this very thing on a 50gl office tank. I was able to automatticlly top off the tank and supplement CA/ALK. Once a week I filled the bucket and once every month I would wash out the tube and valve as it can build up kalk. Be sure to have the kalk drip into an area of high flow. This is by far the cheapest and simplest of methods.

-Sonny

Volcom6981

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

-Sonny
Just looked into this sounds interesting. I’m not ready for kalk yet my tank is just cycling, but wanting to dose kalk before anything else in my 40 gallon AIO tank.
I have the Tunze osmolator, so this looks like it would be a great fit. A couple questions though, when you add the kalk to the bottle and add RODI water do you shake it before using it? How often do you have to add kalk to the bottle?

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looked into this sounds interesting. I’m not ready for kalk yet my tank is just cycling, but wanting to dose kalk before anything else in my 40 gallon AIO tank.
I have the Tunze osmolator, so this looks like it would be a great fit. A couple questions though, when you add the kalk to the bottle and add RODI water do you shake it before using it? How often do you have to add kalk to the bottle?

Hello,

I fill the Kalkwasser reactor about a quarter of the way up. You can add less, but this is the best solution for my tank and needs. The water can only be saturated so much, so there is no danger in loading it up. The amount of kalk powder you add will be dependent on your ALK levels, ph, and coral uptake. In my situation I need the most powerful kalkwasser solution available. Short of adding vinegar, I am at the max saturation point.

Start with a dosage of half a tablespoon per gallon of ATO and move up or down from there based on your needs and levels. It’s hard to give you an accurate starting point as evaporation rates vary from system to system but the dosage prescribed is a good starting point.

My situation is a bit different as I have a larger aquarium so my rate of kalkwasser powder addition will not be not be relevant , at least for your particular setup as I would be evaporating more water and making greater additions of kalkwasser.

When adding fresh kalk powder it would be advisable to shake the reactor a few times and wait 15 minutes to turn the top off back on. Personally, I add RODI and kalk powder outside of the reactor and then pour that solution into the reactor. It makes it much easier to add and I can avoid a cloud of noxious kalk powder.

-Sonny

Volcom6981

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I fill the Kalkwasser reactor about a quarter of the way up. You can add less, but this is the best solution for my tank and needs. The water can only be saturated so much, so there is no danger in loading it up. The amount of kalk powder you add will be dependent on your ALK levels, ph, and coral uptake. In my situation I need the most powerful kalkwasser solution available. Short of adding vinegar, I am at the max saturation point.

Start with a dosage of half a tablespoon per gallon of ATO and move up or down from there based on your needs and levels. It’s hard to give you an accurate starting point as evaporation rates vary from system to system but the dosage prescribed is a good starting point.

My situation is a bit different as I have a larger aquarium so my rate of kalkwasser powder addition will not be not be relevant , at least for your particular setup as I would be evaporating more water and making greater additions of kalkwasser.

When adding fresh kalk powder it would be advisable to shake the reactor a few times and wait 15 minutes to turn the top off back on. Personally, I add RODI and kalk powder outside of the reactor and then pour that solution into the reactor. It makes it much easier to add and I can avoid a cloud of noxious kalk powder.

-Sonny
Thanks for this! I’m also curious if you replenish the water back into your return section. Do you find the kalk mess with your Tunze optical eye or have to clean it more. That’s the one thing with doing Kalk this way is it will mess with the optical eye.

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this! I’m also curious if you replenish the water back into your return section. Do you find the kalk mess with your Tunze optical eye or have to clean it more. That’s the one thing with doing Kalk this way is it will mess with the optical eye.

Hello,

I have not had any issues with that. The water is added to the return section and quickly sent up to the display by the return pump. The kalk additions are small and frequent, preventing buildup or a film from forming.

-Sonny

Volcom6981

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have not had any issues with that. The water is added to the return section and quickly sent up to the display by the return pump. The kalk additions are small and frequent, preventing buildup or a film from forming.

-Sonny
Ok nice, did you slow the flow down on the osmolator, I saw there is a knob in the back that you can turn to slow it down.

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok nice, did you slow the flow down on the osmolator, I saw there is a knob in the back that you can turn to slow it down.

I did not. Everything was kept at the factory setting. While the kalk addition will spike of the PH a small amount, it not enough to cause concern or harm.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back