How is my Ocellaris looking a week into treatment?

BombadBrad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I noticed my new Ocellaris is quite skinny about a week ago. I’ve never seen him poo so I can’t say if it’s white or not. I started treating him with Seachem metroplex and focus treated pellets. These are New life spectrum 1mm pellets. He gets about 6 per feeding. Twice per day. How is he looking visually to you? Should I up his feeding to 3 times a day? I’m also wondering how much longer i should be giving him medicated food.

0C3028E8-EFC1-43A8-B7CF-9F4031944CC6.jpeg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try 3 times a day. It looks young so you may want to try the nls grow pellets or another that is similarly high in fat and protein. With growing fish, I would never worry about over feeding a juvenile clownfish. Just avoid too much food at once to where it just sits in the filter or on the ground where the fish may not eat it.

You could always try prazipro (safe in the tank) as another medicine if things don't get better.

OP
OP
BombadBrad

BombadBrad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try 3 times a day. It looks young so you may want to try the nls grow pellets or another that is similarly high in fat and protein. With growing fish, I would never worry about over feeding a juvenile clownfish. Just avoid too much food at once to where it just sits in the filter or on the ground where the fish may not eat it.

You could always try prazipro (safe in the tank) as another medicine if things don't get better.
I did actually treat the tank with one dose of prazipro as well a week ago. Took my carbon out for about 2 days. I didn’t even realize they made grow pellets.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did actually treat the tank with one dose of prazipro as well a week ago. Took my carbon out for about 2 days. I didn’t even realize they made grow pellets.

Usually 2 treatments of prazi is recommended (it doesn't do anything to the eggs).

The grow pellets are basically the same as the regular but have a very high fat and protein content.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I noticed my new Ocellaris is quite skinny about a week ago. I’ve never seen him poo so I can’t say if it’s white or not. I started treating him with Seachem metroplex and focus treated pellets. These are New life spectrum 1mm pellets. He gets about 6 per feeding. Twice per day. How is he looking visually to you? Should I up his feeding to 3 times a day? I’m also wondering how much longer i should be giving him medicated food.

0C3028E8-EFC1-43A8-B7CF-9F4031944CC6.jpeg
Was this a wild caught fish or was it captive bred? That gut looks like the fish could be starving, and possibly a victim of cyanide poison used to capture the fish?

If it was cyanide captured it almost certainly will not live much longer.
Hopefully it will eat and gain weight but time will tell.

OP
OP
BombadBrad

BombadBrad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eating a ton. Color is not accurate. He is deep orange.

OP
OP
BombadBrad

BombadBrad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was this a wild caught fish or was it captive bred? That gut looks like the fish could be starving, and possibly a victim of cyanide poison used to capture the fish?

If it was cyanide captured it almost certainly will not live much longer.
Hopefully it will eat and gain weight but time will tell.
I’m not sure if it’s wild caught or bred. I’ve had him for 2 weeks. Started treating for internal parasites a week ago. He acts completely normal. Very active. Eager to eat and eats a lot.

OP
OP
BombadBrad

BombadBrad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually 2 treatments of prazi is recommended (it doesn't do anything to the eggs).

The grow pellets are basically the same as the regular but have a very high fat and protein content.
Yeah I’m thinking I’ll do another at the 10 day mark to be safe.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure if it’s wild caught or bred. I’ve had him for 2 weeks. Started treating for internal parasites a week ago. He acts completely normal. Very active. Eager to eat and eats a lot.
If he’s eating then he still has a digestive tract so that’s good!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used @paul B’s idea of feeding live food for new weak fish. I buy a mussel or clam at the meat counter, crack it open and chop whole and feed, especially with gut contents with good improvements in fish health.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back