How large of an aqauarium would you have?

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 150-200 gal is probably the largest I'm willing to go. But, I'm still new and just getting settled into my career lol

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea you could use that sump. It says it holds 30 gallons might be a little small but do able. I've always heard 10-15% tank size. I don't conform to that though.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder how many holes I would have drilled… does anyone recommend online vendors for tanks that a reef ready?
Where do I go about finding information on metal stands? Something about metal tells me that someone new couldn’t build one with home equipment like I did my current wooden stand.

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder how many holes I would have drilled… does anyone recommend online vendors for tanks that a reef ready?
Where do I go about finding information on metal stands? Something about metal tells me that someone new couldn’t build one with home equipment like I did my current wooden stand.

A wooden stand will be fine for a 20" deep tank no matter how long it is, so long as you have adequate vertical supports at the right spacing. It comes down to distributed loading, not so much total loading if its on a concrete foundation.

My main concern is your plans to put it in the basement and if you can get it down there.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A wooden stand will be fine for a 20" deep tank no matter how long it is, so long as you have adequate vertical supports at the right spacing. It comes down to distributed loading, not so much total loading if its on a concrete foundation.

My main concern is your plans to put it in the basement and if you can get it down there.
That’s something I sort of just really realized today… I have a stairway and have a set of sliding doors behind my house so getting it physically inside wouldn’t be too much of an issue.. I prob would hire a company to help me do the move itself.. I’m thinking about an 8 foot tank… are there any benefits from an eight foot tank to a longer tank?
As of right now I want to figure out the tank size and then deal with the equipment costs and whatnot.. it’s going to be a tank that I at the end of the day am happy with regardless of the cost… lol even if it takes some extra time saving!

Wood stand sounds like the way to go because not only can I build it in the basement itself but I can also spend less money ( 2 x6s in mind…) curious how I would support the middle part as my current stand is 4ft and doesn’t have a center support..

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that, but to me just a little too big for reaching in, I’d cut it back to 96x42”x24” - just a bit smaller but easier to clean
How does one reach into the center of their tank when it’s 42 ‘ across? I’ve always envisioned standard rectangle aquariums but am interested in the benefits of a large squareish shape

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s something I sort of just really realized today… I have a stairway and have a set of sliding doors behind my house so getting it physically inside wouldn’t be too much of an issue.. I prob would hire a company to help me do the move itself.. I’m thinking about an 8 foot tank… are there any benefits from an eight foot tank to a longer tank?
As of right now I want to figure out the tank size and then deal with the equipment costs and whatnot.. it’s going to be a tank that I at the end of the day am happy with regardless of the cost… lol even if it takes some extra time saving!

Wood stand sounds like the way to go because not only can I build it in the basement itself but I can also spend less money ( 2 x6s in mind…) curious how I would support the middle part as my current stand is 4ft and doesn’t have a center support..

I've never seen a 4 foot wooden stand without a center support (center front and back). There is usually one hidden between the two doors on the front and and another in the back, but that's with 2x4 construction, perhaps with the horizontal 2x6 beam you could get away with a vertical support every 4 feet. As a rule of thumb, I would go with one vertical support (front and back) for each top brace, which tend to be at 2ft spacing. This would give you a good safety factor.

Also, keep in mind most basement slabs are sloped toward one corner, especially if there is a sump. It would suck to not realize this until you were finished and filled the tank with water.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen a 4 foot wooden stand without a center support (center front and back). There is usually one hidden between the two doors on the front and and another in the back, but that's with 2x4 construction, perhaps with the horizontal 2x6 beam you could get away with a vertical support every 4 feet. As a rule of thumb, I would go with one vertical support (front and back) for each top brace, which tend to be at 2ft spacing. This would give you a good safety factor.

Also, keep in mind most basement slabs are sloped toward one corner, especially if there is a sump. It would suck to not realize this until you were finished and filled the tank with water.
How can I go about figuring if my basement is sloped? I do currently have two sumps but whenever it floods ( doesn’t happen often) the water doesn’t seem to really flow at an angle..

also are there any other concerns about a basement slab? I’d say it’s about 4-5 inches thick atleast?

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is what the underside of my stand currently looks like… perhaps I am calling the center support the wrong thing… but I am referring to a piece of wood that runs from the floor to the top of the stand in the middle… maybe that’s not even needed and just the across slabs are?

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 500g is 6’x5’… absolutely need access from front and back
Do you have pics? How do you access the center for maintenance if ever? Is the overflow on an edge, or in the center or just along the back?

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what the underside of my stand currently looks like… perhaps I am calling the center support the wrong thing… but I am referring to a piece of wood that runs from the floor to the top of the stand in the middle… maybe that’s not even needed and just the across slabs are?

Yea sorry. You definitely do not want a vertical support in the center of the bottom pane of glass, that would create a pressure concentration and break it. I meant center along the front and back. A basic 6ft bubble level should do fine to check the slope. They aren't that expensive at harbor freight.

And rest assured, the weight will not be a problem on that slab for a tank that shallow

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are wood stands able to handle weight from a 300+ gallon tank..? I built my current stand with 2x4s and 2x6s and it was built with an intention to upgrade to a 120 gallon.. 48x24....

Would I be able to build a stand that provided support as well as the ability to the bottom easily?
Wood is strong and yes it can handle. I built my stand with 2x6 for my 300g. Stand is built like a tank off DIY Joey's design.

As for the main question... My dream tank would have to be 10ft long x 4ft wide x 2.5ft high.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea sorry. You definitely do not want a vertical support in the center of the bottom pane of glass, that would create a pressure concentration and break it. I meant center along the front and back. I basic 6ft bubble level should do fine to check the slope. They aren't that expensive at harbor freight.
Is having a sloped basement something that would cause me to have to ditch the idea of a tank down there all together? Or could I just adjust my stand and whatnot to accommodate it?
Can I just recreate my current stand design with all 2x6 and be safe enough to have my stand hold 300+ gallons?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back