How Large to avoid territorial issues

KWSanders

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like a reef tank with butterflies/ tangs / damsels etc ( yes I know they are called blue devils for a reason ). I plan to have a large tank as wide as deep ( not height ) basically in a large square or slight rectangle with 2 sides visible to the living space and the other 2 in a dedicated mechanical room. 2 seperate reefs in a yin yang orientation Thinking in 1000gal neighborhood . How large should go to allow everyone to have their own territory , not be able to see each other or at least if they chase each other at least give up chasing before somebody gets hurt ???

Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most Butterflies not good in a reef, but the size of your tank will probably come down to the Tangs and which ones you’re eyeing....some big ones like a Vlamingi are gentle giants, where as a Purple will be one to add last because it will torment any new fish.
Then you have the challenge to keep swimmers like a Powder Blue, Achilles, Clown (also a big one), etc....
What are you thinking?

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt any practically sized tank is going to prevent most aggression. Maybe with damsels where a territory can be established. Not much will help with tangs. I can say with direct experience that an eight foot 450 isn’t big enough.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt any practically sized tank is going to prevent most aggression. Maybe with damsels where a territory can be established. Not much will help with tangs. I can say with direct experience that an eight foot 450 isn’t big enough.

I agree with this. I don't have experience with a giant tank, but in my 40B the coral beauty angel is always feisty. Everyone in the tank is well established, but the coral beauty will just go on a rampage for the heck of it. Always fighting with my swallowtail damsels, even searching them out to start an argument. It never gets lethal though.

Rogueaquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is true to a point. I also think it depends on your rock structure, swim throughs, caves, etc. I wouldn’t mix in angels with tangs personally but if you have the room, then it’s more plausible. Your more aggressive tangs, I would add later or the last fish in my stocking list.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no question that space helps to curb aggression. Crowding = more problems. But if two fish decide that they ‘hate’ each other then no tank, regardless of size, will help.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you can get away with is highly dependent on the species of tangs/Angel's kept. Like if you plan on keeping more than a few Acanthurus tangs together esp ones like shoals, clowns and PBs you will need a massive tank, even then you will more than likely run into issues.

Rogueaquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no question that space helps to curb aggression. Crowding = more problems. But if two fish decide that they ‘hate’ each other then no tank, regardless of size, will help.
Yes, it that “one” fish is intent on dominating then yes. I had the same issues when I was raising very large cichlids..

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back