How likely for ocellaris clown to go in long tentacle anemone?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had terrible luck in the past with ocellaris clowns (my favorite clownfish) entering regular bubble tip anemones.

Are they more likely to enter a long tentacle anemone?

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are going to probably get a bunch of 'clowns are a's', they do their own thing. Maybe now, maybe in a month, maybe never!! Unfortunately they are all true. Clowns are like Karma..they are Fickle B's. They will host a hermit crab just as easily as an anemone. I have two clowns and two anemones..and they could care less.

Good luck!!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Research the anemone you want or the clowns you have and find out which anemone are the natural hosts. This will give you a jump start on if it may work or not.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had terrible luck in the past with ocellaris clowns (my favorite clownfish) entering regular bubble tip anemones.

Found a quick article for you. Here's ocellaris natural hosts

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220123-195316_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220123-195316_Chrome.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 101
OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both!!! This was the realest response I’ve received! Much appreciated!

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a 1" pair of captive bred, tank raised Snowflakes and put them in a 10g cube with 3 small-to-medium BTAs. It took them a couple months, but once they figured it out, they hop from one BTA to another all day. The tank is small-ish, though, so it's not like they were ever far away from one.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Typically not a host unfortunately.... my Ocellaris wants nothing to do with my Long Tent for a few years now lol. @Eagle_Steve may be able to advise further....

I have heard some using video to encourage BTA / Clown interaction. I think he is one that has done it with success, perhaps he can include the video link.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically not a host unfortunately.... my Ocellaris wants nothing to do with my Long Tent for a few years now lol. @Eagle_Steve may be able to advise further....

I have heard some using video to encourage BTA / Clown interaction. I think he is one that has done it with success, perhaps he can include the video link.
Oce stands a chance to be hosted by LTA. I have only had issues with haddoni and captive breds. Haddoni eats them.

The link for the video I used to use I cannot find. I am traveling right now, so will call in @Lost in the Sauce to see if he can get the link. You just have to put it on repeat when you play it and make sure the tablet is plugged in to a charger lol.

nicodim55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, they go in anything that has moving tentacles. Right now my occis go from torch, duncans, goni and frogs spawn . Good luck with yours, they all have their preferences.

reefer_evo5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one thing i did was not feed my clowns for a couple of days to get them hungry and than i would add flakes or pellets to my bubble tip anemone and get the clowns to take the food from the anemone i did this consistently for about 3 weeks and now my clowns host the anemone and when they see im gonna feed them they wait by the anemone to be feed lol try that maybe but don't get frustrated and have patience lol

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back