How long after a water change is best for checking levels?

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually change about 10 gallons of water every 2 weeks on my 55 gallon tank. Today I had some extra water made up and changed about 15 gallons. How long after is a good time to check my levels?

also i turn my light off during water changes. Is it a good idea to leave it off for a lil while after water changes?

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if it makes a difference, but I like to let everything settle first, which usually takes a couple of hours.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also i turn my light off during water changes.
giphy.gif

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leave my lights on during water changes, the fish couldn't care less as they hide. As far as testing after a water change, your water will likely be fully mixed in a few hours. I wait a day to make sure, plus I try to test at the same time daily, so depending on the time I did the water change, which is usually around the same time I test, I wait a day.

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, nah don't worry about the stress, they are fine with the light on.
So here’s my next question. I have my lights set to be off between 9pm and 9am every night. Is that a bad idea for corals? Should I have some sort of light on at night?

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, no light needed at night. Some use a moonlight but I would guess most don't. If you're really into it you can set a moonlight to simulate the full moons and try to induce coral spawing events...

12hrs of light is a pretty long light cycle, do you have a long ramp up and down with a light controller?

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I have some sort of lighting on for my corals 24/7? Or is it ok for there to be no light at night time?
Nah, I run my light schedule from 8 am to 8 pm, with a 2 ramp up and 2 hour ramp down.

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, no light needed at night. Some use a moonlight but I would guess most don't. If you're really into it you can set a moonlight to simulate the full moons and try to induce coral spawing events...

12hrs of light is a pretty long light cycle, do you have a long ramp up and down with a light controller?
Yes. Lights come on at 9am starting at 2%blue only. From 9-1 they ramp up until at 1 they hit 95% blue 5% white 1% red 2%purple 1% Green. Those are the colors I can set 1-100 pct on my light. From 1-5 they are at those settings. From 5-8 they dim down to 2% blue and from 8-9 stay there and off completely at 9pm. Does that sound good? Any suggestions?

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually did testing the next morning after a water change. Now that I do small ones daily I really dont pay any attention to them. 1-2 % isnt going to affect testing much.

My lights are on from 8am-9pm then the timers shut them off and it's dark. No ramping except the difference between the T-5s and MH.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See my reply above about my schedule. Let me know if I’m ok or should make any adjustments?
It really depends on what corals you are keeping. I have a mixed reef tank, so my max par is from 10 am. to 5 pm. My max par is 300 to 380. I don't worry about in between, fish need to sleep and corals are in the dark in nature at night. I have found that at night the SPS really come out and play. :)

A 4 hour ramp up does seem a little long though, I ramp up for 2 hours and down to 2 hours, which for some is long also.

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on what corals you are keeping. I have a mixed reef tank, so my max par is from 10 am. to 5 pm. My max par is 300 to 380. I don't worry about in between, fish need to sleep and corals are in the dark in nature at night. I have found that at night the SPS really come out and play. :)

A 4 hour ramp up does seem a little long though, I ramp up for 2 hours and down to 2 hours, which for some is long also.
I too have a mixed reef. Mostly softies handful of lps just got my first 2 pcs of sps 2 weeks ago. Based on that can you make any suggestions for me? Appreciate it.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like @WVNed, I hold mine steady for the majority of the day.

What lights are you using? I hate to give advice not knowing what type of light is being used. :) You will have to bump up the other channels as Blue/UV doesn't have as high of par. You will only want to do roughly, 2 percent every couple of days. If you can borrow a par meter then it will be well worth it, it not then you can bump them up a few percent every couple of days and see how you softies and lps react.

I have a hybrid with Radions, thus my recommendations will be somewhat based on that.

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like @WVNed, I hold mine steady for the majority of the day.

What lights are you using? I hate to give advice not knowing what type of light is being used. :) You will have to bump up the other channels as Blue/UV doesn't have as high of par. You will only want to do roughly, 2 percent every couple of days. If you can borrow a par meter then it will be well worth it, it not then you can bump them up a few percent every couple of days and see how you softies and lps react.

I have a hybrid with Radions, thus my recommendations will be somewhat based on that.
I attached some pics it’s a Fluval LED. So I will bump the other channels up gradually every 2-3 days. What’s the max percentage I should hit on each channel so that I don’t cook my corals?

820BE9F9-6096-40FF-BB0A-26EAD05D47BE.jpeg EE7C8172-6FFB-4461-903D-217BC32F27EB.jpeg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally have no experience with that light, so I would rather someone with experience of this light give advice. I wouldn't go above 20 percent on the red and green channel. You can crank up the purple channel to match the blue channel. Again though, I am only going from what I know about my setup, which is radions.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back