How Long Are LEDs Fixtures Good For

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Djtonton

Saltwater Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a random question would love to hear peoples thoughts. I have a Photon 48 the original version its been kicking for about 6-7 years now! Im pretty sure its about time to replace the light.

But is it?

Thats what I dont know Im not sure how long LED's are normally good for.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if there is enough real data to answer that question.
I know that when LED's first came out, the manufacturers touted 10 years based on a 24/7/365 scenario.
At 6-7 years, based on actual usage, I would say that it's time to start thinking about it, but not time to panic and kill the credit card balance just yet

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if there is enough real data to answer that question.
I know that when LED's first came out, the manufacturers touted 10 years based on a 24/7/365 scenario.
At 6-7 years, based on actual usage, I would say that it's time to start thinking about it, but not time to panic and kill the credit card balance just yet

Agreed, if you took good care of your light, with clean fans, you can get another year or so out of it. It is definitely not as bright as it was brand new though. The V1s used older style 3watt bridgelux LEDs, which aren't as efficient as Crees and have a bit shorter of a lifespan. We do have a 10% loyalty discount if you would like to upgrade to the V2+.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beyond intensity levels, how well does spectrum hold up since some (all?) still require phosphors. For instance, how close to 450nm is that emmiter after x amount of hours?

OP
OP
Djtonton

Djtonton

Saltwater Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, if you took good care of your light, with clean fans, you can get another year or so out of it. It is definitely not as bright as it was brand new though. The V1s used older style 3watt bridgelux LEDs, which aren't as efficient as Crees and have a bit shorter of a lifespan. We do have a 10% loyalty discount if you would like to upgrade to the V2+.

I have been chatting with someone at ReefBreeders i think we are going to work something out I'm really excited just need to wait another week or so ;):cool:

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beyond intensity levels, how well does spectrum hold up since some (all?) still require phosphors. For instance, how close to 450nm is that emmiter after x amount of hours?

All diodes degrade over time. They may still light up, but color shift due to heat. You won't necessarily see this happening, as it is a very slow process. Corals will adapt to this change, to a point. You may notice in time that they will become dimmer and will require increasing intensity.

I've had my Mars Aqua's now for going on 5 years and I have replaced all of the diodes just this year.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I haven't seen much of a spectrum shift, mostly a loss of intensity. It really depends on how well cared for the light is. I have gotten in 6yo V1s with the fans so plugged up with dust they no longer work, and salt spray all throughout the light. That one had maybe 2/3rds its original power.

On the flip-side, I have gotten in 6yo lights that were well cared for, dry, with minimal dust, that had close to 85% of its original power.

We advertised 4-6 years from the beginning, an enclosed light in a kitchen that's on for a couple hours a day vs. a light mounted above a reef tank is going to have a shorter lifespan due to the corrosive nature of saltwater, longer run time, high intensity, etc.

The Photon V2s have been out almost 4 years, I have yet to see one with any noticeable intensity loss. The Cree LEDs seem to be holding up much better.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back