How long before I can say the fallow period has worked?

Stoatee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got what I think was velvet or brooks was never 100% sure. I fallowed the tank for 8 weeks before adding back 1 surviving clown fish and 1 I had paired with it in quarantine for about 4 weeks. 24 hours of them being added to the infected DT the survivor died in 24 hours and the new one died after 72 hours. I have now gone and fallowed again for 90 days. I have added 4 chromis and wondering how long I should leave it before we can deam the tank cured. They have currently been in for 24 hours but I no they are hardy fish

Jason_MrFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
A true 90 days fallow will allow it to die off. Just makes me wonder why you dont set up a small qt tank to treat fish before you add them to display and cause anothet headache.

OP
OP
S

Stoatee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A true 90 days fallow will allow it to die off. Just makes me wonder why you dont set up a small qt tank to treat fish before you add them to display and cause anothet headache.
I no the fish we got our fine as they have come someone I know who had them for 2 years. The 8 week fallow I had treated the fish for the 8 weeks which is why I was surprised they died but then I read 76’days is a true fallow not 8 weeks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got what I think was velvet or brooks was never 100% sure. I fallowed the tank for 8 weeks before adding back 1 surviving clown fish and 1 I had paired with it in quarantine for about 4 weeks. 24 hours of them being added to the infected DT the survivor died in 24 hours and the new one died after 72 hours. I have now gone and fallowed again for 90 days. I have added 4 chromis and wondering how long I should leave it before we can deam the tank cured. They have currently been in for 24 hours but I no they are hardy fish

If I'm following the timeline correctly, the first fish dying within 24 hours of being added to the DT is not from any disease it caught from the DT - even velvet cannot kill that fast, 72 hours is also a stretch. That means the fish either had something in the QT, and the stress of the move brought it out more, or something went wrong with the acclimation (going from low to high salinity, etc.)

Did you treat the chromis before moving them into the DT? If not, if they develop a disease you'll not likely know if they brought it in with them or if the fallow period failed.

Jay

OP
OP
S

Stoatee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm following the timeline correctly, the first fish dying within 24 hours of being added to the DT is not from any disease it caught from the DT - even velvet cannot kill that fast, 72 hours is also a stretch. That means the fish either had something in the QT, and the stress of the move brought it out more, or something went wrong with the acclimation (going from low to high salinity, etc.)

Did you treat the chromis before moving them into the DT? If not, if they develop a disease you'll not likely know if they brought it in with them or if the fallow period failed.

Jay
Yes I agree it seemed very fast. I did dip them for an hour same salt and temp the clown that died first was stuck between a rock and the glass in the morning after adding him in the evening and dead when we get back from work. It could be from stress or something else at play but I did not want to risk anything. The chromic came from a friends DT that he has had them in there for 2 years but is wanting to add sone different livestock so needed to get rid of the chromis. I feel like they will have been healthy as no coral, cuc or other fish had been added to that tank for around 6 months before he gave them to me and all look very healthy eating ect currently. How long would you say velvet or brooks would take to re attach to a fish if present and kill them?

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many tanks live with Ich and other parasites for years with no adverse affects. The only way to know for sure is to QT

when you went fallow did you treat the fish for parasites or just have them in another tank for observation

OP
OP
S

Stoatee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many tanks live with Ich and other parasites for years with no adverse affects. The only way to know for sure is to QT

when you went fallow did you treat the fish for parasites or just have them in another tank for observation
I treated copper for 4 weeks and then observation for 4 weeks. This is true but I think with them being healthy currently it would be my tank causing the issue

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I treated copper for 4 weeks and then observation for 4 weeks. This is true but I think with them being healthy currently it would be my tank causing the issue
Dino is a flagellate and ich is a cyst. They have different life cycles and respond during fallow to various temperature as temp of 80.5 will shorten cycle
When copper was administered, what level did you treat at and how did you monitor the copper level?

OP
OP
S

Stoatee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dino is a flagellate and ich is a cyst. They have different life cycles and respond during fallow to various temperature as temp of 80.5 will shorten cycle
When copper was administered, what level did you treat at and how did you monitor the copper level?
I used a Hannah checker and seem to recall either 2.5ppm or 25ppm the copper power recommended

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I used a Hannah checker and seem to recall either 2.5ppm or 25ppm the copper power recommended
Would be 2.25-2.5 with copper power for a FULL 30 days without interruption. If any water changes, you would restore copper to level. Im getting a feeling of incorrect treatment (which does happen as it can be confusing)

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if I follow the fallow correctly, and agree that the returned clowns passed dues to stress in the re-entry, and that if they were copper treated as stated and they did not re-introduce a parasite... you have had two successive fallow periods 170 days?), and if the chromis are parasite naive, they will tell you whether there is still pathogen in the tank. I personally would wait 2-3 weeks before adding any more fish while watching them closely. In the meantime you could be QTing your next additions

does that make sense?

PS in my one and only fallow, I "canary in the coal mined" some acclimated mollies - I guess because have read that are very susceptible (Jay, are they?) and feels less bad loosing a fish that is raised in mass, than one taken from the wild in case the fallow was insufficient

OP
OP
S

Stoatee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if I follow the fallow correctly, and agree that the returned clowns passed dues to stress in the re-entry, and that if they were copper treated as stated and they did not re-introduce a parasite... you have had two successive fallow periods 170 days?), and if the chromis are parasite naive, they will tell you whether there is still pathogen in the tank. I personally would wait 2-3 weeks before adding any more fish while watching them closely. In the meantime you could be QTing your next additions

does that make sense?

PS in my one and only fallow, I "canary in the coal mined" some acclimated mollies - I guess because have read that are very susceptible (Jay, are they?) and feels less bad loosing a fish that is raised in mass, than one taken from the wild in case the fallow was insufficient
Yes that would be correct 2-3 weeks sounds okay. The tank is actually getting gutted and and a new one is arriving. The only reason I want to get this get free is because of the corals. If it wasn’t for them I would have dried the tank out. Let’s hope in 3 weeks everything is looking good and we can get on with then new tank

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did this with my tank. Waited 6 weeks then added 3 chromis. I waited 2 weeks before adding another fish and they are all doing well!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back