How long before my tank arrives can I keep media seeded?

figwig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, after a disaster with my tank cracking in two, I've ordered a new tank at my LFS. My fish and corals are staying at that same LFS for now as I don't have another tank. Anticipating the tank arriving, I bought new tank media and some Microbacter XLM stuff to kick start the filter, but my LFS called me and said they can't get the tank in for a month.

I'm considering going for something else to speed it up, but if I do decide to wait, do I have anything to gain by putting my bio media balls in some saltwater, dosing them with the live bacteria and ammonia source, and growing some bacteria in the meantime? What do I have to provide to keep the bacteria alive? ie. Chucked in a bucket is fine, or should they be in a tank with flow+heat, do I need to be 'feeding' them with ammonia to stop them from starving and dying out? My gut feeling is get it started early and end up with some super cycled media but I don't want to kill off my biological filter by rushing in. Thanks!

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, after a disaster with my tank cracking in two, I've ordered a new tank at my LFS. My fish and corals are staying at that same LFS for now as I don't have another tank. Anticipating the tank arriving, I bought new tank media and some Microbacter XLM stuff to kick start the filter, but my LFS called me and said they can't get the tank in for a month.

I'm considering going for something else to speed it up, but if I do decide to wait, do I have anything to gain by putting my bio media balls in some saltwater, dosing them with the live bacteria and ammonia source, and growing some bacteria in the meantime? What do I have to provide to keep the bacteria alive? ie. Chucked in a bucket is fine, or should they be in a tank with flow+heat, do I need to be 'feeding' them with ammonia to stop them from starving and dying out? My gut feeling is get it started early and end up with some super cycled media but I don't want to kill off my biological filter by rushing in. Thanks!
Imo put in saltwater with heater + flow. Add ammonia and bacteria and yeah that's all you need. So essentially the same as cycling in your tank, except it is a different container.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are not going to supply heat and definitely flow I would not do it, yes you would have to supply an ammonia source such as dr Tim's ammonia or a very little fish food to start the bacteria off.

Yes you would benefit from this but only if you do it right, if you don't I would just wait.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your bacteria remain if water remains, don't feed them because that's algae fuel building up in your new tank and the filter bacteria are feeding daily anyway, if you provided none. knowing what your bacteria are doing at all times allows you to successfully predict what happens with your investment, not approaching everything as your bacteria needing help will make you a stronger reefer than is common on boards, we should begin your new tank with resolve and certainty. makes for a better journey. first rule, you can't reverse a cycle by starvation.

Im curious if you plan to use a sandbed on it or not, and how that waste sink will be managed.

Last edited:

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your bacteria remain if water remains, don't feed them because that's algae fuel building up in your new tank and the filter bacteria are feeding daily anyway, if you provided none. knowing what your bacteria are doing at all times allows you to successfully predict what happens with your investment, not approaching everything as your bacteria needing help will make you a stronger reefer than is common on boards, we should begin your new tank with resolve and certainty. makes for a better journey. first rule, you can't reverse a cycle by starvation.

the OP doesn't have a tank at the minute it would be a new start.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gotcha
the first round of cycling won't be undone then as he awaits the final delivery.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gotcha
the first round of cycling won't be undone then as he awaits the final delivery.

He doesn't have any water, he is asking if it's beneficial to start cycling new media whilst he waits for a delivery of a new tank as his last one cracked.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
putting my bio media balls in some saltwater

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a friend you trust with a clean tank ask them to put the media in their tank till you are ready that would be far more beneficial but only if the tank is mature and no nasties you wouldn't want in your new tank.

OP
OP
F

figwig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef., If I'm putting my media in someone else's tank do I need to worry about combining too many strains of bacteria or anything when I then use the start XLM stuff in my own tank? Sounds silly but the XLM stuff insists no live sand so didn't know if it'd be the same problem.

And Brandon, if I'm going to not feed the bacteria after the initial ammonia source, do I need to worry about them starving? There still won't be any fish in system for a good couple weeks, so don't want to loose whatever progress I make.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef., If I'm putting my media in someone else's tank do I need to worry about combining too many strains of bacteria or anything when I then use the start XLM stuff in my own tank? Sounds silly but the XLM stuff insists no live sand so didn't know if it'd be the same problem.

And Brandon, if I'm going to not feed the bacteria after the initial ammonia source, do I need to worry about them starving? There still won't be any fish in system for a good couple weeks, so don't want to loose whatever progress I make.

the answer is no one knows, it is generally accepted the more diverse bacteria the better to start a tank but a tank will find its own level and some bacteria will become more dominant.
BRS has done a lot on this and they recommend starting a new tank with rock etc from a mature system.

OP
OP
F

figwig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the answer is no one knows, it is generally accepted the more diverse bacteria the better to start a tank but a tank will find its own level and some bacteria will become more dominant.
BRS has done a lot on this and they recommend starting a new tank with rock etc from a mature system.
Perfect, cheers. I'll see if I can do both then! I'll probably 'cycle' my media at home a week before I expect the tank

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you hold your media in someone else’s tank, you both are open to stuff you may not want. I assume your talking rock and hard surface stuff.

If that’s the case, I would just put in buckets with lids and a bacteria dose, some freshly made and heated saltwater, some flips, and let them build their populations in that environment.

That way, your ahead of the game whenever it arrives.

Rinse them off, put them in, your cycled.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back