How long can cured rock be out in open air?

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefsquad,

I have a few hundred pounds of rock, that I've had cured in large garbage bin. Going on about two months now, while I had my front panel changed.

Question,

How long can the rock be brought out into open air ( to redo aquascape) before you start losing beneficial bacteria?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
keep covered w damp towels,while working.

c.poindexter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the biggest thing is to try to keep it wet. When they ship live rock from over seas a lot of times they will cover them in wet newspaper and such.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With "cultured" rocks - rocks without anything else than bacteria - its very unlike that something should happens to the bacteria culture in a day or two- Most bacteria can go dormant if the environment not suit them.

Another fact - the "culturing" have already bring the populations down to a minimum - no food for two months - most bacteria is in dormant stage already - a day or two up in the air does not matter - IMO

But in order for you to feel better - it is a good idea too spay them now and then.

Sincerely Lasse

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with lasse. Your rocks are cured. They cannot die in a short time period. Use a spray bottle occasionally.

My opinion: No matter what you do, your tank is going to go through the algae bloom. It’s gonna cycle regardless. But this tank will be running for many years. 1-2 month of initial cycling is nothing to worry about.

I say take your time to make your aquascape the best you can.

Back