How long can fish parasites survive out of water

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank recently just died from velvet and im setting up a new tank and there might have been some cross contamination from my tank to the bucket i mix water in and some other equipment, so i let the bucket dry for about a day and everything else has been drying for a week. is this long enough to kill all the parasites?

Last edited:

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not if it was porous like rock or sand, then it is much longer. Even if dry the least i see is 3 days fully dry.

I would just do a fallow period, especially if this will be a reef tank as older biological material (or live rock and sand) is so much better for a reef than new rock and just bottled bacteria

Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it was just the bucket you will be more safe than the tank, but it will depend on how long you actually let it dry.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not if it was porous like rock or sand, then it is much longer. Even if dry the least i see is 3 days fully dry.

I would just do a fallow period, especially if this will be a reef tank as older biological material (or live rock and sand) is so much better for a reef than new rock and just bottled bacteria
All im transferring over is a heater, im not transferring over any biological material to the new tank like rock or sand.

Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All im transferring over is a heater, im not transferring over any biological material to the new tank like rock or sand.
You should be fine, it is just harder to be absolutely sure as these parasites are microscopic. Its always easier just doing the full fallow and letting the tank mature even more

Upvote 0

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
My tank recently just died from velvet and im setting up a new tank and there might have been some cross contamination from my tank to the bucket i mix water in and some other equipment, so i let the bucket dry for about a day and everything else has been drying for a week. is this long enough to kill all the parasites?
Sterilize equipment with bleach, rinse and towel dry.
Done in a couple hours.

Upvote 0

aimed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I just pour it on a paper towel and just wipe everything down?
Yes get it all wet and let it thoroughly air dry. Don’t dry it with another towel. If I’m being extra careful I’ll go over it twice with a 5-10 minutes in between.

Upvote 0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back