How long can fresh RODI water sit in my tank before I start the system?

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

So I just put my 150g 5x2x2 tank on the stand! WOO HOO! Exciting!

The next step will be doing a water/leak check (couldn't have been done sooner) I will be using RODI water; assuming it doesn't leak I will thereby have my 150g of water and won't have to waste any by emptying and refilling.

That said, once the leak test is done I won't be ready to sand, salt, rock and start cycling for a few weeks. Can RODI water sit in a tank for a couple weeks and still be okay to use at that point? Or should I hold off until I can salt and cycle soon after I fill it?

Thanks in advance for your expertise!
J

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I store 200 gallons of ro/di water for months for my ATO and have never had any issues. When the time comes add your salt to get the salinity correct before adding sand and rock to your tank to start your cycle.
If you add live sand and live rock to straight ro/di water you will kill the living bacteria that helps your cycle.

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be fine for a couple weeks no problem. That said... Working in an empty tank is much easier than a full one. Especially if you start with dry rock and sand. I’d simply use tap water for the leak test.

OP
OP
Lylelovett

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be fine for a couple weeks no problem. That said... Working in an empty tank is much easier than a full one. Especially if you start with dry rock and sand. I’d simply use tap water for the leak test.

I was going to use tap water initially, but it seems such a waste of 150g of water... then I gotta get it out of there. :)

OP
OP
Lylelovett

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I store 200 gallons of ro/di water for months for my ATO and have never had any issues. When the time comes add your salt to get the salinity correct before adding sand and rock to your tank to start your cycle.
If you add live sand and live rock to straight ro/di water you will kill the living bacteria that helps your cycle.

Copy that on the salinity. Neither my sand (carib sea special grade) or rock (billy's reef connection) will be live.

Will be using Dr Tim's Fishless to cycle.

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the use of ro/di water because if it passes your leek test your that much closer to salt and you don’t waste all that water.

OP
OP
Lylelovett

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the use of ro/di water because if it passes your leek test your that much closer to salt and you don’t waste all that water.

That's my thinking - and most likely there won't be any leaks, I would assume. :) It's an SCA Starfire.

Back