How long can I hang my Rock Flower Anem?

Eclyps19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to migrate my RFA to a new tank. He is wedged WAY deep in this rock, and I'm pretty certain that if I tried to split the rock, I'd crush him. So right now I have the whole rock hanging upsidedown over the tank, and he's drooping pretty low, just barely touching the top of the water. It's been about an hour now, and he's not showing any signs of budging yet. I know that these guys can stay out of the water for a while, but I don't know how long I can leave at least the foot portion out of the water before seriously damaging it. Thoughts?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm trying to migrate my RFA to a new tank. He is wedged WAY deep in this rock, and I'm pretty certain that if I tried to split the rock, I'd crush him. So right now I have the whole rock hanging upsidedown over the tank, and he's drooping pretty low, just barely touching the top of the water. It's been about an hour now, and he's not showing any signs of budging yet. I know that these guys can stay out of the water for a while, but I don't know how long I can leave at least the foot portion out of the water before seriously damaging it. Thoughts?

@Ron Reefman @The Aquatic Arsenal - any thoughts?

OP
OP
Eclyps19

Eclyps19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He did not. I gave him about 2 hours, but to be honest it freaked me out that he could last even that long. I put him back and I’m now attempting the powerhead method.

If anyone has an answer as for the length of time, I’ll likely give it another shot tomorrow.

Halo_003

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this with a BTA, dipping continuously in and out of water, then hanging, then more dipping for about 2.5 hours before it let go of a rock. My thinking with the dipping was continuously going in and out of the water would make it “think” it was being exposed during tides.

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He did not. I gave him about 2 hours, but to be honest it freaked me out that he could last even that long. I put him back and I’m now attempting the powerhead method.

If anyone has an answer as for the length of time, I’ll likely give it another shot tomorrow.
Has the powerhead method worked?

OP
OP
Eclyps19

Eclyps19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has the powerhead method worked?

It has not - I think that he is likely too deep into the rock for the powerhead to actually push water through to the base of the foot. My guess is that the base is 4" or deeper. If he doesn't budge before I go to bed, I'll probably move the powerhead away from him to give him a bit of a break until the morning.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's one tough and determined RFA!

To be honest, I've never had to fight with one in this situation. Being in a bigger rock and having it's foot really deep inside a hole.

I'd consider hanging it upside down and every 15 or 30 minutes or so, dip it in and out of the water several times, still upside down and maybe even making the water splash a bit. I wouldn't be concerned about doing that for an entire day. They are very hardy and IMHO, it will eventually get the idea that this isn't a safe place to live.

I did have a small RFA on a thin (2" thick) flat rock that was covered with nice zoas. I wanted to sell the rock and the zoas (I had lots more). So I took the rock into the garage and set both ends on boards with the zoas and RFA upside down. I then took a 1.5" hole saw I use for drilling glass (diamond edged) and cut a hole through the rock! It worked. And the funny thing is, I sold the rock and put the core with the RFA on a frag rack. Two days later it moved out and attached itself to the frag rack which made it easy to remove. I'd really rather that it just stay in the rock core... oh well.

Good luck and keep us posted as to how this works out for you and the RFA!

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When they are all stretched out and don’t let go on there own, i have basically pinched and pulled them out. You have to hold very tight and pull with a consistent pressure. So far I have gone this route twice and did not injure the foot. This is my last resort.

6186ADBE-ADCE-45D8-B514-52CF1E448658.jpeg 5A30EE53-C023-4636-959E-F5A4A8152D4E.jpeg D52338B7-5C10-4938-9E95-7D92A728F962.jpeg 96523838-D121-4A5C-B340-9598CA2CEB8E.jpeg 84BA5A9D-6C64-4947-94D7-0B64B394B2B3.jpeg 26B21B58-D4D5-4809-8957-09EC5F031593.jpeg 1649EADF-19FC-46ED-8F5D-C20D924A443B.jpeg 303C07AC-F72B-4ACF-8F36-6A218EB9B711.jpeg CD843851-5476-4716-8E1A-5EE8CF2FE9DB.jpeg 46EB3B71-C859-48E3-B91E-D1EBCC44FC10.jpeg

FragileReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had luck removing anemones the normal suggested ways. I have always been able to get at the foot and with a blunt dental tool apply pressure till you can peel it off. My LFS has sold me a rockflower that was deep in a rock. They put the rock on the floor and chiseled it. I thought he crushed it a few times but in the end it was fine. They are pretty resilient. Keep looking up methods but I think just pulling or peeling are the best bet in the end. Good luck.

OP
OP
Eclyps19

Eclyps19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all of the advice. After about 8 hours of hanging, splashing, dipping, and frustration, I decided it would rather die than come loose. So I gave @mta_morrow ’s method a shot and grabbed hold of the base as it was fully extended and slowly pulled...

Well that was about the most god-awful thing I have ever felt. It gave me the heebie jeebies, so I quickly abandoned that idea.

I finally took the whole rock out and started going to town with my screwdriver and hammer. Boy was he in deep... the more I chiseled away, the deeper he scooted towards the foot. After about 30 minutes of careful chiseling, I finally popped him off. he’s now in his new home (filled with much smaller rocks)

These are beautiful creatures, but I would rather chase a wrasse around a tank for 6 hours than try to get another one of these out of a rock...

Thanks again for all of the suggestions!

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all of the advice. After about 8 hours of hanging, splashing, dipping, and frustration, I decided it would rather die than come loose. So I gave @mta_morrow ’s method a shot and grabbed hold of the base as it was fully extended and slowly pulled...

Well that was about the most god-awful thing I have ever felt. It gave me the heebie jeebies, so I quickly abandoned that idea.

I finally took the whole rock out and started going to town with my screwdriver and hammer. Boy was he in deep... the more I chiseled away, the deeper he scooted towards the foot. After about 30 minutes of careful chiseling, I finally popped him off. he’s now in his new home (filled with much smaller rocks)

These are beautiful creatures, but I would rather chase a wrasse around a tank for 6 hours than try to get another one of these out of a rock...

Thanks again for all of the suggestions!
I must admit, the first time I did it I thought I would kill it. And it does feel weird for sure! I’m just glad you got it out! Way to stay at it and not give up.

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
My black widow was the same. I chiseled the rock and left him attached to a small piece of the rock

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Haha! Crazy nem!!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back