How long can I keep live rock in a Brute container? Any maintenance?

Joshua Jordan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

About 6 months ago I put 30 lbs of dry rock which I had already cured into a 32 gallon Brute trash can in order to cycle it. I used Dr. Tim's One and Only along with the Ammonium Chloride. I successfully cycled it verified by testing. BUT....what was originally supposed to be 3 months in the Brute trash can...has turned into 6 months due to long complications with COVID-19.

I have kept the container closed with a heater set to 77 and a wave maker to circulate the water. Do I need to be doing any regular maintenance to make sure the live rock stays healthy and I don't lose all my hard work? Water changes? etc?

Thanks so much for all of your help and knowledge.
Josh

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check nitrates and carbon if needed. Bacteria don’t need lights. Don't see the benefit in WCs since the rocks likely not taking minerals out and waste of RODI just to manage nitrates in a closed system without any life.

Last edited:

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are fine. You could always add some ammonia and make sure it gets consumed. But I would bet if you add some nitrifying bacteria just before you add livestock, you are good to go. I’ve had good luck with biospira.

Just go slow .

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a horse trough with a mixture of mostly "dry rock" (Marco) and rock from a tank etc
it also got a big dose of MB7 months ago. every 2 months or so I do a water change of the water from my DT

I have a dream tank which keeps getting pushed back, but I will be ready when I get there

I keep it unlit an with a powerhead moving stuff and rescued and mammoth hermit from someones tank and drop him a chunk of shrimp now and then, and has gotten mammoth'er

so I think you should be fine, and good luck with using it

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a brut with live rock that has been there for years. It has a circulating pump and a tight fitting lid. Whenever I need live rock to set up a new frag tank or something like that, it is ready. If I ever get new dry rock, it goes in there. Every once in a while, I check the salinity and it has never changed enough to warrant adding water.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back