How long can I leave fresh saltwater mix in a container???

Cuong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if fresh saltwater mix has a shelf life. How long do most people who premix their salt and leave it in a holding container usually keep theirs for? I run a AWC system that's connected to a 60 gallon holding container that's always aerated with a jebao pp8. I don't heat it though since the daily swap of water is only 3 gallons, therefore temp doesn't change much. I was wondering if anyone keep theirs for over 3 weeks with any problems...
The reason I ask is I noticed my alk was slowly dropping for the last two weeks. Decided to test my "new" water in the holding container. Got an ALK reading of 8.5dkh. Was hoping it was just a bad batch of salt, and not my method...

Last edited:

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept it for severalweeks but don't mix or heat. I don't have a awc system, was just when I bought and stored it from the fish store.
I think the circulation may be contributing to your alk drop, unless your using a salt mix with added organics it should be fine in a still reservoir.

bonnie.klassen1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I do have low ALK and alway keep my water circulating for a week or more between water changes

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef crystals. Why would circulation cause the alk to drop??

You can get precipitation of minerals in mixed sea water if it isn't added to more dilute tank water in a period of time. Randy can explain it like an intelligent person.

I've been using the Red Sea Coral Pro salt for water changes for a few years (the one with rather high minerals relative to NSW). I read somewhere (possibly in this forum) that the Coral Pro should be added to the tank pretty soon after it clears up else it might precipitate. The few times I've left it mixing for 24 hours it has in fact clouded up a bit.

OP
OP
C

Cuong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get precipitation of minerals in mixed sea water if it isn't added to more dilute tank water in a period of time. Randy can explain it like an intelligent person.

I've been using the Red Sea Coral Pro salt for water changes for a few years (the one with rather high minerals relative to NSW). I read somewhere (possibly in this forum) that the Coral Pro should be added to the tank pretty soon after it clears up else it might precipitate. The few times I've left it mixing for 24 hours it has in fact clouded up a bit.
Was thinking about switching to Red Sea coral pro to remedy the situation. Now I really don't know what to do.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated above, precipitation.
I don't know the explanation, I just know when I let it mix it drops. For instance, I forgot to shut off the pump on a batch of salinity, alk should of been 8.0 when I realized a couple days later and noted precipitation on the pump I tested. The alk measured 6.5. I just bumped it back up and used it.

Reef Crystals I think has added vitamins and stuff so I don't know about letting it sit..

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef crystals. Why would circulation cause the alk to drop??

It's a complex question, but circulation can involve heat (from a pump) and that can spur precipitation since it is such a supersaturated solution to begin with.

More complicated is the impact of aeration on pH. When some precipitation happens, that tends to lower pH, and lowered pH reduces the potential for more precipitation.

IF the aeration tends to raise the pH, then it might return the potential for precipitation back to the level it was before any precipitation started.

OP
OP
C

Cuong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a complex question, but circulation can involve heat (from a pump) and that can spur precipitation since it is such a supersaturated solution to begin with.

More complicated is the impact of aeration on pH. When some precipitation happens, that tends to lower pH, and lowered pH reduces the potential for more precipitation.

IF the aeration tends to raise the pH, then it might return the potential for precipitation back to the level it was before any precipitation started.

So what you are saying is if I'm going to store it for a few weeks, then I should not circulate it after it's been mixed? Also, reef crystals is the best option then for storing a salt mix??? I understand that you do a AWC. How long do you leave ur salt for? Out of curiosity, what salt do u use as well Randy???

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what you are saying is if I'm going to store it for a few weeks, then I should not circulate it after it's been mixed? Also, reef crystals is the best option then for storing a salt mix??? I understand that you do a AWC. How long do you leave ur salt for? Out of curiosity, what salt do u use as well Randy???

I wouldn't (didn't) circulate the normal IO that I stored for a month or more. There's no benefit and it just wastes electricity, even if nothing else bad happens. There was a lot of precipitate that I just ignored, but I do not know if it increased over the month. I left that solid on the bottom of the Brute can for years.

BUT, Reef Crystals is not optimal for storing (IMO). It has organics in it. Normal IO is fine, as are most mixes. The organics will degrade and be consumed by bacteria, and might possibly even make the water anaerobic.

OP
OP
C

Cuong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to switch to red sea coral pro salt then. I don't think there are any organics in that brand salt.... I will just aerate it for the first day. Then leave it uncirculating for about two weeks as I am using it for the AWC. I will monitor if it drops in alk every other day with the hanna to test if this salt drops as well, and by how much....

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use local ocean water and have stored it for 8 weeks without a problem. Our salinity is lower so the 45 gallon barrels I keep outside do not have salt added while the two 45 gallon barrels inside are mixed. I'll get about 4 weeks out of the mixed barrels.

Just_Pete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea coral pro and mix mine the night before. I pour water into a bucket, add salt, stir and place a pump and heater to 79 degrees. Do you think I’m missing out on nutrients by warming and mixing for roughly 12 hours or so?

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i mix the salt in 55 gal drum with pumps running to mix it for 3-4 hrs till its clear and mixed well. after that all heaters/pumps go off and mix stays in drum unstirred not heated not aerated etc till its used up (3 gal water change per day). i have used every salt you can think of out there. recently i have been using regular IO. At that rate saltwater in that drum stays upto 20 some days.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to switch to red sea coral pro salt then. I don't think there are any organics in that brand salt.... I will just aerate it for the first day. Then leave it uncirculating for about two weeks as I am using it for the AWC. I will monitor if it drops in alk every other day with the hanna to test if this salt drops as well, and by how much....

Red Sea Coral Pro is among the most prone to precipitation since it pushes alk and calcium quite high, but it is likely OK if not heated. One member challenged Red Sea's assertion that heating caused rapid preciptiation, and in his particular case, it was not a problem.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope I'm as lucky then
I've stored regular IO in sealed containers for a very long time.

If you using a salt like Reef Crystals that contains other things in it, then they''ll break down and you'll lose those benefits, if those other things truly have benefits :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 80 87.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back