How long can live rock survive in a bucket without a powerhead?

LanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys,
I have a question about live rock.

Someone close is selling some live rock from a tank they broke down 5 days ago.

They've had it in 2 buckets for 5 days, swapping a powerhead and heater back and forth between the 2.

Is it worth getting? How long could it survive like that? Im supposed to be going over in a half hour, but just found out about the bucket thing.

Thanks.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we have threads of tested conditions where live rock went 2 years only in sw, not fed. the bacteria do not die if hydrated

animals like starfish, live rock benthics are tough. days is how long it can last if its open topped/kept topped off in my opinion. lr is not weak, I routinely drain my entire reef for 25 intervals just to test it.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys,
I have a question about live rock.

Someone close is selling some live rock from a tank they broke down 5 days ago.

They've had it in 2 buckets for 5 days, swapping a powerhead and heater back and forth between the 2.

Is it worth getting? How long could it survive like that? Im supposed to be going over in a half hour, but just found out about the bucket thing.

Thanks.
I'd think if it does not have a stench, your all good.

If it does have a bad smell, then it has die off and may need to re-cycle.

OP
OP
LanM

LanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't stink. A couple pieces have green algea, and that has a slight smell. The coralline parts, and the rest of the rock smell like clean seawater.

The temperature in the buckets was 66 degrees upon measuring after bringing it home (less than 2 miles from my house).

I immediately put it in a rubbermaid tub, tossed in a MJ900 and a neotherm 100 watt heater. I hope I made the right decision. 27lbs for 60 bucks with 2 buckets and lids doesn't seem bad.

Now I have too much rock. 9lbs +27 = 36lbs of live, and 46 lbs of dry pukani, reefready tonga branch, and one sided flat cuts....I'm assuming more than adequate for a 25 and 29 gallon tank.

OP
OP
LanM

LanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we have threads of tested conditions where live rock went 2 years only in sw, not fed. the bacteria do not die if hydrated

animals like starfish, live rock benthics are tough. days is how long it can last if its open topped/kept topped off in my opinion. lr is not weak, I routinely drain my entire reef for 25 intervals just to test it.

Thanks Brandon. Have you done any testing on proliferation of coraline within a startup? Any way to accelerate? I've seen a multitude of live rock, yet it seems that there is no correlation between age of the system and percentage of coverage of the rock with visible coraline bacteria. Some well aged tanks have peppered patches, and some much younger are rife with dark purple fully covered rock.

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Brandon. Have you done any testing on proliferation of coraline within a startup? Any way to accelerate? I've seen a multitude of live rock, yet it seems that there is no correlation between age of the system and percentage of coverage of the rock with visible coraline bacteria. Some well aged tanks have peppered patches, and some much younger are rife with dark purple fully covered rock.

My coralline avoids the rock like the plague.. However don’t clean the front glass for a month and the tank won’t be visible, just red. It’s so weird LOL. I do notice that stability in terms of magnesium and calcium yields the best results for growth, but that’s the case with all corals and you should strive for stability in everything.

OP
OP
LanM

LanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My coralline avoids the rock like the plague.. However don’t clean the front glass for a month and the tank won’t be visible, just red. It’s so weird LOL. I do notice that stability in terms of magnesium and calcium yields the best results for growth, but that’s the case with all corals and you should strive for stability in everything.

Thanks for the info. Likewise, I have seen what I believe to be coraline growth on my filter lip, and on the mag float. None on the live rock that was purchased a couple months ago other than the 2 pieces that were fully covered. And even then. I've seen it slightly recede (seen it being eaten first hand...even pulled up a chair and waited just to verify).

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t pinpoint details on coralline it’s so weird. When I had power compact lighting, coralline would blot out the whole front viewing area but after led, not once, it’s stopped/can’t explain lol

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read by someone on ebay selling coraline frags that calcium had to be kept at 600 for it to grow. Dont know how true that is, but isnt coraline kind of calcified over the rock? Makes sense!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back