how long can my tank last with out power

cbort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long can my 30g cube go without power...

The power company shut down power due to a ice storm that is approaching. They said more damage would be done if they did not shut down the power ahead of time.

They said power will be off 3-4 hours....

I have mostly zoas, LPS and a few SPS, a clam and only 3 small fish.

OP
OP
cbort

cbort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am at work right now...i went home to make sure not too much water ended up on the floor, and i was about 1" from overflowing!

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank will be fine. I used to turn my lights off for 2 days once a month when I only kept lps and softies. Circulation is the main problem with a loss of power. Wouldn't want to go more than 8 hours or so. You can stir the water manually once every half hour just to get some surface agitation for oxygenation.

OP
OP
cbort

cbort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, that is what another hobbiest said, so will do that! Thanks

sps4mytank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3-4 hours is fine...i went 8 hours yesterday.

What i did because my battery back up didnt work was

I used an air bed mattress pump (battery powered) to add aeration and some circulation. I had to ghetto rig it but it worked.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well with an ice storm and the power being off I would say your water will get really cold quick. Who knows your power could be out longer. If you have access to a generator get it now! If not, I would warp my aquarium in some tick blankets to help insulate what heat the water will have.

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the biggest concern being temp.

otherwise it should be fine - livestock sits in still water for far longer than that in transit. now if you have a heavy bioload i would worry about o2...

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, last year we had an ice storm. Power was out for 10hrs. Tank went from 80 to 59 degrees in that time. The corals are pretty resilient to be honest. All of them survived. I had a couple sps colonies start to stn, but stopped when the tank got back up and running. The fish didn't handle the drop so well though, lost a couple fish. 3-4hrs....no biggie unless temp drops a ton.

OP
OP
cbort

cbort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i live in an earth home, so my temp wont drop too much at all. Stays pretty insulated.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
being acrylic also will help it hold it's temp stable....you can always light the fireplace or something to keep the house warm.....but like mentioned they have battery powered air pumps at lfs. for a decent price to keep the aeriation up....

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stir the water regularly with a stick. Wrap a couple of towels around it to hold the heat in. Get an inverter to plug into your car. Periodically start your car and run an extension cord from car to tank to run the circulation pump and heater. Probably want to fill up your gas tank, first. ;) If they're shutting down power because of an incoming ice storm, I would plan for longer term power outage than the short time they've stated.
Gary

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stir the water regularly with a stick. Wrap a couple of towels around it to hold the heat in. Get an inverter to plug into your car. Periodically start your car and run an extension cord from car to tank to run the circulation pump and heater. Probably want to fill up your gas tank, first. ;) If they're shutting down power because of an incoming ice storm, I would plan for longer term power outage than the short time they've stated.
Gary

+1

I would be more worried about having a back up plan if the power ends up being out longer.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back