How Long Can They Stay "Frags"?

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ten new frags that I got from the @CherryCorals $20 live sale. My question is how long can I leave them as frags IN THE SANDBED? I'm upgrading my system to a much larger tank, and I don't really want to fix these corals to a rock, and then have to pop them off and reposition them in the new tank. I do not have a frag rack small enough for my 29g that would not also overshadow an existing coral. And even if I did, the Galaxea and two others I got wouldn't be able to sit on the rack because of their warfare like nature. So if the new system won't be here for a month, and also given set up time, would the frags make it up to 6 weeks in the sand?

Frags are:
Echinata x1
Montipora x2
Birdsnest x1 (This one I have loosely affixed it's plug to a rock about 5-6" down from the water line.)
Duncan x1
Candy Cane x1
Dragon Fur (GSP) x2
Leptoseris x1
Galaxea x1

The current system has 2 AI Prime 16 HD mounted about 6" from the water line. Total depth of the tank is 18.75" with a 1.5" sand bed, and the water line is 1" from top (since it's a rimmed tank basically the waterline is at the bottom of the rim).

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion, they should be fine in the sand bed for ~6 weeks. Worse case I'd suggest buying a small frag rack you can affix to the glass and if any start to brown out, move those up on it.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the light and flow is OK for frag, the below is what I think:

1) the branching ones should be fine for the whole month - duncan, cane, birsnest, and depending on your type of montis, they will just grow upwards and start branching.

2) ech and lepto should be fine, they are generally slow encrusters, even if they end up covering the whole flag disc, there's no problem for them to encrust to the sand, you can easily pull them out

3)GSP I never owned but from what I hear they spread like wildfire so you might want to put them on their own island now, and keep them there even after you get the new system set up

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back