How Long Can You Keep PreMixed Saltwater for?

Bubbles_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am creating this thread to find out how long you can keep fresh PreMixed Saltwater for. I want premix it and store it in 5gallon containers just to make water changing less complicated for my wife and I.

With that said can you great R2R folks chime in to let me know if PreMixed Salterwater goes bad at a certain point if stored for a certain period of time.

Thanks in advance,
Bubbles_B :nerd:

fraggingfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can keep it stored for several months to years, provided you have it sealed and the parameters do not change.
Change I mean, in reference to evaporation, which changes the salinity, mag, alk etc.

Provided the Mixed Saltwater is kept in a sealed container, you have nothing to fear.

If it helps, I have 120 gallons of Saltwater, stored for emergencies.
I once used it 8 months after it was mixed, all parameters were on par when I tested prior to using.

MyBoyGus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make my own, and keep it in a trash can. The can has a MaxiJet 1200 running 24/7 inside. No problems. Weekly water changes uses almost all of it.

From a water change I have had water left in a 5 gallon gas can. I used it... once. Won't make that mistake again. A ton of brownish flakes were poured into my tank. It seems if the water isn't churned with constant movement, the alk/calcium/mag will precipitate (is that the right word?) to the bottom of the container.

Young Frankenstein

I sniff ozone and relax.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stored in a safe glass aquarium in a dark place it can go for months, providing you add RO for evaporation. I would not trust it if it was stored in a plastic container for a long time due to chemicals leaching in the water.

DOI

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a potable/food safe container such as some rubbermaid trash bins with a pump to keep it from going anaerobic it will keep for months to years.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Stored in a safe glass aquarium in a dark place it can go for months, providing you add RO for evaporation. I would not trust it if it was stored in a plastic container for a long time due to chemicals leaching in the water.

Oh no I just got ripped in another thread for saying that can happen after Rev brought it up. Doi is right store it in a food grade container.

The salt water should be kept sealed in the dark. I have had bacteria build up after a while in saltwater that was left uncover in a pale for several months.

But honestly I do not know if there is a limit for how long it can be stored. I would think stuff would precipitate out after a while and settle.

Last edited:

Razor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would disagree with most of you.. Saltwater can be stored as long as the salt you use donot have vitamins in it. :bigsmile:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back