How Long can you Leave Mysis in the Fridge?

OP
OP
ThePurple12

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was thinking. I usually leave leftovers in the fridge for the next day and haven't had any problems, just wondering how long it can go without growing too much bacteria.

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I NEVER put the mysis in a fridge. It stays in the freezer until I need it and then I thaw it, rinse in mesh net to allow small pieces to wash through and then feed the seahorses. Never thaw more than you need for one feeding. Bacterial growth commences immediately upon thawing and while refrigeration slows the growth, it is still occurring and IMO not worth the risk to my seahorses.

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I NEVER put the mysis in a fridge. It stays in the freezer until I need it and then I thaw it, rinse in mesh net to allow small pieces to wash through and then feed the seahorses. Never thaw more than you need for one feeding. Bacterial growth commences immediately upon thawing and while refrigeration slows the growth, it is still occurring and IMO not worth the risk to my seahorses.
I get mine at Petsmart it comes in omg of 30 cubes and I leave in freezer till feeding time

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well put! I would inject how long would you leave frozen then thawed shrimp in your fridge before you ate them.

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about when we mix metro and focus into frozen for qt? I do 3 days worth at a time but this is fish not seahorses, no experience here with them. Also not not if adding the meds increasing the shelf life or not.

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do the same with all my frozen food. I put the package in a Ziploc bag so when I'm done, I squeeze all the air out.

And, make sure you rinse it, as their real dirty.

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well put! I would inject how long would you leave frozen then thawed shrimp in your fridge before you ate them.
I’m a commercial fisherman I would never eat frozen seafood I just grab what I want fresh out of ocean. If I eat a fish chances r it was just swimming 4hrs ago

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a commercial fisherman I would never eat frozen seafood I just grab what I want fresh out of ocean. If I eat a fish chances r it was just swimming 4hrs ago

We went on a cruise to Alaska years ago, and we started out in Wa. A friend took us to the wharf where fishermen arrive with fresh caught fish. Think it was "Ivers" ?
I ordered fish, chips, fries, then a fricking bird STOLE ....my fricking fish sandwich, right out of my hands ! I guess when that happens the captions ring their bells, and laugh their butt's off. But, they made me one anyway. lol

On our cruise I went on a fishing excursion and caught a 34lb salmon ! So that more than made up for my sandwich being stolen. lol

In Alaska, we learned that the American Bald Eagle are called Trash Birds ! All the small towns ship their garbage to Anchorage, the birds eat that garbage. LAZY or SMART ? lol

Alaska is so,...beautiful ! We plan on buying a good used class motor home when we retire in 10 years to see a lot more.

Ok guys, a lesson. What do most of the Eagle's die from ?

matchmakersmagic

Seahorse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have any scientific proof or anything but I only thaw what I need and toss any extra. When I tried leaving it in the fridge you can literally observe degradation before your eyes via color change in the first 10-12 hours.

Also, I wont eat thawed frozen seafood 2-3 days old for myself nor my family. I think along those lines for our aquatic pets too.

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have any scientific proof or anything but I only thaw what I need and toss any extra. When I tried leaving it in the fridge you can literally observe degradation before your eyes via color change in the first 10-12 hours.

Also, I wont eat thawed frozen seafood 2-3 days old for myself nor my family. I think along those lines for our aquatic pets too.

Very good question. A few years I called Larry, of LRF, on how to keep his frozen food from frost freezing, as mine was getting ice crystals. He suggested cutting them into cubes, that your fish would eat at one feeding, then take 1-2 days worth and put them in the fridge.

For the rest, put them in a sealed ziploc bag, then place your hand at the bottom, slide it to the top to push all the air out, hold it there, and zip the bag to seal. It works great. What I also do is put some cubes in a sandwich bag, grab the top, then suck the air out and use a twist bag to seal. Easy, cheap, fast, no air, no frost freeze and no ice crystals.

I did to him about calling our LFS's to supply us with his foods, and now we have three srores here and several in Omaha.

Last edited:

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good question. A few years I called Larry, of LRF, on how to keep his frozen food from frost freezing, as mine was getting ice crystals. He suggested cutting them into cubes, that your fish would eat at one feeding, then take 1-2 days worth and put them in the fridge.
For the rest, put them in a sealed ziploc bag, then place your hand at the bottom, slide it to the top to push all the air out, hold it there, and zip the bag to seal. It works great or what I also do is put some cubes in a sandwich bag, grab the top, then suck the air out and use a twist bag to seal. Easy, cheap, fast, no air, no frost freeze and no ice crystals.

Idid so was talking to him about calling our LFS's to supply us with his foods.
I fill the sink with water and push the bag down till about an inch from the top and zip it. Close as possible to a vacuum seal.

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One to two days in a fridge might be ok for normal reef fish, but not for seahorses IMO. Not worth the chance.
I buy Hikari frozen mysis in one pound packs and then I have a template I made to cut the flat pack into 128 pieces using a razor scraper to cut. Then I freeze the pieces, only taking them out when I thaw and feed for EACH of the four feeding each day, not once for all four.
The pieces theoretically should weight 3.5g each, but with varying thickness of the flat pack and with not exact cut lines the pieces range from just under to grams to just under 5 grams. It works great for me as I have scales that weight 1/100g and separate the pieces so that half of them are the lowest weight ones and half the highest weight ones are separate and used for two different tanks with different needs.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back