How long can you store RO water for?

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've got 4 norwesco tanks in my garage. 2 are for the saltwater mixing station, and the other 2 are for emergency water storage. I made 100 gallons of emergency water by bypassing the DI cartridges. How long is this water good for?

Thanks!

trvrstnk4837

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've got 4 norwesco tanks in my garage. 2 are for the saltwater mixing station, and the other 2 are for emergency water storage. I made 100 gallons of emergency water by bypassing the DI cartridges. How long is this water good for?

Thanks!

is the container sealed up tight? Does it block all light? Is it indoors? A lot of factors for storing drinking water

how’s your tap water for drinking? While not good for a reef tank alot of the additives that were in the water before you put it through your RO will help with keeping bacteria at bay in long storage

OP
OP
Eye H8 Empty V

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is the container sealed up tight? Does it block all light? Is it indoors? A lot of factors for storing drinking water

how’s your tap water for drinking? While not good for a reef tank alot of the additives that were in the water before you put it through your RO will help with keeping bacteria at bay in long storage
The tank is sealed, it does not block light, it's stored in the garage. See image below.

I have a 3M chlorine filter on our water main coming in. Prior to installing it our water tasted like bleach.

Thanks!

1664075371698.png

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it’s sealed and in a quality container theoretically indefinitely. Water doesn’t expire or go bad at least it shouldn’t if properly stored but of course there’s various factors. At least a few months and up to a year plus for plain RODI water. Smell is a sign it’s bad due to improper storage or bacteria growth etc. To add to that the water on Earth is billions of years old and water itself can’t go bad or expire it can however go bad from the container.

Last edited:

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The tank is sealed, it does not block light, it's stored in the garage. See image below.

I have a 3M chlorine filter on our water main coming in. Prior to installing it our water tasted like bleach.

Thanks!

1664075371698.png
do those shelves support that filled? 100 gallons 800#.

OP
OP
Eye H8 Empty V

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do those shelves support that filled? 100 gallons 800#.
Each shelf has a 1000lbs capacity. The largest tank is 65 gallons and the tank weighs 27lbs. So that’s only roughly 550lbs if completely full. The 100 gallons is the total between the 35gal and 65gal on the right shelves. Left side is the SW mixing station.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Each shelf has a 1000lbs capacity. The largest tank is 65 gallons and the tank weighs 27lbs. So that’s only roughly 550lbs if completely full. The 100 gallons is the total between the 35gal and 65gal on the right shelves. Left side is the SW mixing station.
Good to know. Looking at the picture it appears that the tanks are on the grid. I was just concerned that the weight could bend the grid. If it is working out that is great. I would probably want a couple pieces of 1/4” flat iron under the legs spanning from front to back cross pieces long term. But if you have filled them and it isn’t bowing your probably good.
Looks like a nice setup.

OP
OP
Eye H8 Empty V

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. Looking at the picture it appears that the tanks are on the grid. I was just concerned that the weight could bend the grid. If it is working out that is great. I would probably want a couple pieces of 1/4” flat iron under the legs spanning from front to back cross pieces long term. But if you have filled them and it isn’t bowing your probably good.
Looks like a nice setup.
I was a little worried about it as well. I was thinking of putting some Baltic birch plywood under them as a base. I filled the bottom right 65gal first and checked for any sagging from the grid and so far so good. I’m going to keep an eye on it. Thanks!

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I was a little worried about it as well. I was thinking of putting some Baltic birch plywood under them as a base. I filled the bottom right 65gal first and checked for any sagging from the grid and so far so good. I’m going to keep an eye on it. Thanks!
I considered plywood as well. Two issues that I see. If the weight does start to sag the grid (and it can happen over time not just immediately) it would probably also sag 3-4” plywood. Being a contractor I walk across plywood and it gives some if supports are too far apart. Also the plywood will be affected if and when it gets wet. Likely in this application.
As long as you are aware and keeping an eye on it you should have enough time to make corrections if necessary.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, like all of your emergency stuff.. you need to check on it frequently. Funny how people forget that. Eveg had a flat tire, gone to change it and realized that the spare that you have never inspected is also flat? (Don't ask me how I know this lol) If it was me, I would dump and replace the emergency drinking water every 8-10 weeks. Small price to pay for something that may save your life one day...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Thanks!
Ive stored as longs as 4 months

OP
OP
Eye H8 Empty V

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, like all of your emergency stuff.. you need to check on it frequently. Funny how people forget that. Eveg had a flat tire, gone to change it and realized that the spare that you have never inspected is also flat? (Don't ask me how I know this lol) If it was me, I would dump and replace the emergency drinking water every 8-10 weeks. Small price to pay for something that may save your life one day...
We bought a twin axle travel trailer last year that came with a single spare tire. The first thing I did was buy another rim, tire, and 2 tire pressure sensors (came with a system) because you never know!

Good idea to cycle the water ever few months. Cheap insurance right?

OP
OP
Eye H8 Empty V

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/4 marine plywood, House of Lumber, Long Beach or other supplier nearby.
Will spread the load across the whole grate and the glue is waterproof you can even roll some clear urethane for more protection.

Im with you. Baltic birch is marine grade plywood and super rigid. We moved to TX last year and it’s pretty hard to find. I’ll start calling around.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Eye H8 Empty V

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I considered plywood as well. Two issues that I see. If the weight does start to sag the grid (and it can happen over time not just immediately) it would probably also sag 3-4” plywood. Being a contractor I walk across plywood and it gives some if supports are too far apart. Also the plywood will be affected if and when it gets wet. Likely in this application.
As long as you are aware and keeping an eye on it you should have enough time to make corrections if necessary.

I’m guessing that the rigidity of Baltic birch would alleviate flex. But if it’s not sealed and gets wet it could turn into a skate park half pipe.

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may just be weird but if it’s in the garage why not just place all the containers on the floor? If you keep them vertically it seems like the four would fit in less space than the shelves. Then you don’t have to worry about the shelves giving way or the containers ever falling and leaking. Maybe you could add a small pump to keep the water circulating if you want to keep it for long, I feel like still water is a bad idea for long term.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back