How long do I really need to wait to put a bta in the tank

Areeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all let me start I’ve owned nems in the past I’ve been doing this for years but new tank after not having one for a couple years. How long do I really need to wait to but in a bta.. and yeah I heard it before “6 months” but give me factual evidence that tells me why. Not because someone else told you that a long time ago. Also for anyone is has put them in sooner how was your experience?

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason for that is, anemones do NOT like unstable parameters. Your new reeftank goes through so many swings and it will almost guarantee kill an anemone, they cannot handle it.

Therefor, let your reeftank mature, make the biofiltration strong and get maintenance going so that your parameters will be the same pretty much all the time. Every tank is a little different, and settles on different parameters, and you will eventually learn what those are gonna be. Once everything settles, then it's time for an anemone.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on bta I think lol, I got a tank raised/born Rbta and it’s invincible lol survived Dino’s etc, but I had a green BTA that slowly shriveled and died couldn’t say why

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My black widows are ***** aggressive too. They sense ANYTHING and they will reach out and touch a muthaxxxxxx. They could be angry for no reason, and my rainbows all happy and plump...give it time man. No reason to erase a 100+ dollar nemmie because you couldn't have patience..if you've done this before..you should be used to it

OP
OP
Areeflover

Areeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My black widows are ***** aggressive too. They sense ANYTHING and they will reach out and touch a muthaxxxxxx. They could be angry for no reason, and my rainbows all happy and plump...give it time man. No reason to erase a 100+ dollar nemmie because you couldn't have patience..if you've done this before..you should be used to it
Well I’m in no rush to add an anemone because I have to have one. I’m kinda rushing cause I want to give my new clownfish a home

SE7ƎN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just a noob, but as all the above poster’s said, stability is key. I know a lot of people say 6 months, but the best reference guideline I heard (can't remember the source - maybe BRS) is that a good starting point is when your tank is starting to get coralline algae, which shows your tank is stable enough. I added mine at the 3 month mark, but so far, one month in, it’s happy and doing well. Sadly my 2x clowns want nothing to do with it.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all let me start I’ve owned nems in the past I’ve been doing this for years but new tank after not having one for a couple years. How long do I really need to wait to but in a bta.. and yeah I heard it before “6 months” but give me factual evidence that tells me why. Not because someone else told you that a long time ago. Also for anyone is has put them in sooner how was your experience?
Since you're not a newb, just get your tank past any diatoms/dinos/algae/cyano outbreaks and ensure your major params are stable
Time depends on the rock you begin with
Could easily still be a few months

Deephouse_jedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The earliest I've done I believe is 2-3 months. I had no problems at all. The anemone was even bleached. I was feeding it a lot at the time. Going on 2 years with that nem.

carpetlover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The earliest I've done I believe is 2-3 months. I had no problems at all. The anemone was even bleached. I was feeding it a lot at the time. Going on 2 years with that nem.
With a really good carpet I managed only 2 days with a carbon and media filter and live rock. Still strong today

MSarro27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTAs, SPS and Softies 2 months in. Stable parameters gone thru dinos and green algae. No coralline algae.
FBEEB9D6-0453-4362-B61C-F7333CE809A1.jpeg
A2245D51-1542-45CC-BA11-D244DE42F1E1.jpeg
73AEC23F-D97D-4631-B798-E7BE166C6245.jpeg

Avelino Alicea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’m in no rush to add an anemone because I have to have one. I’m kinda rushing cause I want to give my new clownfish a home
The clowns don't need the anemone, I'm sure you know that. And there's no guarantee they'll immediately go for it. They will be fine waiting for the right time. In the mean time they will find they're own spot.

I've had my bad luck with nems, but now that my tank is stable, I've been able to keep a bta that my tomatoes have turned into their home. But they're not always on it. Mostly hang during the day and sometimes the female tomato sleeps in it, but not always.

Arcticreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my pink BTA 3 months after my tank had finished cycling. It found its chosen spot after about 12 hrs and hasn't budged since. Never had a days issue with it 5 months later. Touch wood. My captive bred clowns treat it like the plague and won't go near it even when I bait them with brine shrimp. They aren't interested. Even my gorgeous elegance coral would make a good home. Getting frustrated I followed some unread somewhere and moved both BTA and elegance and the clowns into the quarantine tank to get them all aquainted. Still zero interest. I stopped the experiment after 4 days mostly out of fear or harming my bta and coral in an inferior environment. I understand that some clowns are just not interested. Patience and experience. Hard earned reefing success qualities I will get one-day.

seahorsebill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my pink BTA 3 months after my tank had finished cycling. It found its chosen spot after about 12 hrs and hasn't budged since. Never had a days issue with it 5 months later. Touch wood. My captive bred clowns treat it like the plague and won't go near it even when I bait them with brine shrimp. They aren't interested. Even my gorgeous elegance coral would make a good home. Getting frustrated I followed some unread somewhere and moved both BTA and elegance and the clowns into the quarantine tank to get them all aquainted. Still zero interest. I stopped the experiment after 4 days mostly out of fear or harming my bta and coral in an inferior environment. I understand that some clowns are just not interested. Patience and experience. Hard earned reefing success qualities I will get one-day.
I will only buy a clown fish I see in an anemone area my local fish store. That way I know they are paired. Then I will buy my clownfish a buddy. I never keep just one clown.

yourmom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will only buy a clown fish I see in an anemone area my local fish store. That way I know they are paired. Then I will buy my clownfish a buddy. I never keep just one clown.
Not intending to hijack, but I am only keeping one clown right now because mine killed it’s partner. All maturation related. Once he became a she and decided it was time to raise a family there was too much aggression. I’ve been through this twice now with two different females. Decided to just keep one because I can’t go through it again. Is this really an anomaly?

yourmom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I brought home a sherman rose anemone two weeks ago and my tank is a little over 4 months old. She is doing great. My parameters have been pretty stable.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish don’t absolutely need to be hosted by a anemone .

they will become guests to amost anything including power heads , euphillia corals ,

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back