How long does a ich treatment last

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi , someone whats to give me a fish but it has ich. He's treating it, but i'm less that enthusiatic about taking a fish that has that problem. How long does this treatment last usually.

Its an adult yellow wrasse

I have a few questions as well;

- If he survive is he a carrier
- Should i QT that fish again before adding it to my tank
- Should i take him at all.
- Any other precautions or stuff i should know thanks.

clownfitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stay away from it. That's an inexpensive enough fish to go buy and not have to deal with ich and all that comes with it.

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would disregard any treatment he has done unless you know for sure it is sufficient.

I dont like using Cu to treat for Ich. I actually never faced ich as of yet despite all the sick fish I have been bringing home lately on purpose to QT. I have treated my Achilles for Ich with Cu for a few days and it really stressed him out. Turned out he had flukes and much easier to treat.

If I were to treat for ich, I would be doing a tank transfer method. It will allow you to treat for Ich much quicker than using Cu. The only con for tank transfer method is it takes up more space and time.

Cu could also potentially become very stressful for a fish. A good analogy is it is like Chemotherapy for fish, you are just trying to kill the parasite before you kill the fish itself.

I also do not like hypo.

You will also have to have a container of sand for the yellow wrasse.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, you can still take the fish
.The time table would all depend on what he's treating with.
Yea, I'd get the fish and put it right into QT, with your tank, you don't want to wipe out anything.
Either QT Hypo or Copper, best killers of ICH.

OP
OP
basile

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys , the guy doesn't want to give it to me with the ich; he wants to treat it himself before , so i don't get the trouble.

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still QT fish if you get it regardless of what they did. Tank transfer method is what I use.

OP
OP
basile

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok i've prepared my Qt tank, with just the essential now will wait for him to finish the treatment as he insist , then fill my QT and transfer buddy in it for a full QT cycle. Thanks for the help.

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok i've prepared my Qt tank, with just the essential now will wait for him to finish the treatment as he insist , then fill my QT and transfer buddy in it for a full QT cycle. Thanks for the help.

Well, what is he QTing with and procedure? If he is doing Cu for several weeks for Ich I would NOT treat with Cu any longer.

If you trust that he knows what he is doing than I would feel you are fine. However, I think it would be best to just add the fish to QT for observation.

Mark...

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the equipment I'd do the tank transfer method prior to QT. Especially since you know he has ick.

OP
OP
basile

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, what is he QTing with and procedure? If he is doing Cu for several weeks for Ich I would NOT treat with Cu any longer.

If you trust that he knows what he is doing than I would feel you are fine. However, I think it would be best to just add the fish to QT for observation.

Yes thats my intention he's doing the treatment and i'll do the 6 weeks observation in my QT , then transfer it. The fish is responding very well to the treatment he says , still eating and very active, hasn't stoped at all so its a good sign. so after he's finished with his bid in another 6 weeks its been 2 weeks now ; i'll do mine.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back