How Long Does Aiptasia Take to Become Noticeable?

Cetus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a bit of red ogo gracialiara and I'm currently quarantining it against ich but I also want to know how long it'll take for aiptasia to start growing in the tank if it does have it. It's been around 4-5 days since it started quarantine and I want to make sure it really is absolutely free of pests. How long would you say is a good period of time to wait for aiptasia to pop up? So far I haven't noticed anything growing and the tank conditions are fairly standard I assume. I just want to do whatever I can to prevent bringing aiptasia into my DT.

Skipbacon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience aiptasia can lie in wait for quite a while if it has to. I thought I got rid of it on a rock and it slowly crept around from beneath the rock months later when I rebuilt the rockscape.

jtlmnop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a few, treated them with F Aiptasia and thought they were gone for about a month. I moved some rocks around to make room for an Elegance. And while I didn’t see anything for the first few days, I just noticed a quarter size aiptasia hanging out behind one of my scans low on the rock. Just smothered it, so fingers crossed… long story short, you never know and vigilance is key

OP
OP
Cetus

Cetus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a few, treated them with F Aiptasia and thought they were gone for about a month. I moved some rocks around to make room for an Elegance. And while I didn’t see anything for the first few days, I just noticed a quarter size aiptasia hanging out behind one of my scans low on the rock. Just smothered it, so fingers crossed… long story short, you never know and vigilance is key
My red ogo's in a 10 gallon quarantine with nothing else but sand at the bottom so... I'm not sure. I'm afraid of keeping it in the QT for too long because I can't supply it with the nitrates it needs but at the same time I don't want to risk an aiptasia infestation. I guess there really is no easy answer then?

OP
OP
Cetus

Cetus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was red ogo from Algaebarn if that changes anything. I know they advertise clean algae but I have seen one person report getting aiptasia from a clump of algaebarn chaeto and another getting vermetids from their coralline bottle products. These seem to sort of the exception but am I just being paranoid or would it be better to just put the red ogo in instead of potentially letting it wither away?

jtlmnop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was red ogo from Algaebarn if that changes anything. I know they advertise clean algae but I have seen one person report getting aiptasia from a clump of algaebarn chaeto and another getting vermetids from their coralline bottle products. These seem to sort of the exception but am I just being paranoid or would it be better to just put the red ogo in instead of potentially letting it
They say clean, but also that there are no guarantees. Even with QT, I don’t think we can ever eliminate the possibility of a hitchhiker. All we can do is watch and address issues as they come up. If it were me, I would put it in the DT and keep any on it. But then again, something could detach and end up on the other side of the tank. Who knows!

OP
OP
Cetus

Cetus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They say clean, but also that there are no guarantees. Even with QT, I don’t think we can ever eliminate the possibility of a hitchhiker. All we can do is watch and address issues as they come up. If it were me, I would put it in the DT and keep any on it. But then again, something could detach and end up on the other side of the tank. Who knows!
Very well then. I guess it's a risk no matter what I do and if I'm too paranoid to put anything in well then I'm not really going to have a tank. I suppose I'll give it a shot and hope for the best.

Gatorj31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very well then. I guess it's a risk no matter what I do and if I'm too paranoid to put anything in well then I'm not really going to have a tank. I suppose I'll give it a shot and hope for the best.
Ever see any problems with your algea? I just purchased some chaeto from algea barn and have the same concerns. I figured if I kept it in a QT tank for a month I’d see whatever bad pests it has on it

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really didn't notice mine until they started talking during movies

Confused Trailer Park Boys GIF

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a bit of red ogo gracialiara and I'm currently quarantining it against ich but I also want to know how long it'll take for aiptasia to start growing in the tank if it does have it. It's been around 4-5 days since it started quarantine and I want to make sure it really is absolutely free of pests. How long would you say is a good period of time to wait for aiptasia to pop up? So far I haven't noticed anything growing and the tank conditions are fairly standard I assume. I just want to do whatever I can to prevent bringing aiptasia into my DT.
It's best to buy cultured algae from a reputable source if you need this type of guarantee. I've tried to give my halymenia a freshwater dip to kill the aiptasia growing on it, but aiptasia is extremely tough. And I killed a bunch of pods and baby snails the last time I dipped my halymenia...

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 72 42.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%

Back