How long does copper stay active in a dry QT tank?

Sharp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. I just picked up a free secondhand qt tank from one of my mates. He has run copper in the past in this aquarium. For some reason he had sand and rock in the QT tank even while dosing copper, I will dispose of this. I am wanting to use this space to nurture finicky fish specifically a, Tamarin Wrasse, Regal Angel and Orange Spotted Filefish, and teach them to eat in captivity. In order to try and recreate as natural environment as possible I am wanting to set this up like a display tank, with rocks and sand, I am planning on using Prime to deal with ammonia until the cycle ends, or the fish eat well, and will be adding Stability and Dr Tims as well as an old sponge from my DT.

I am aware that prime is toxic when combined with copper. The tank has sat dry outside for nearly 6 months. Is there any risk of left over copper still being in the tank, either in the seams or in the rock and sand are which could still leach in? I dont want to accidentally kill the new fish with prime, if this has happened.

I am planning on feeding them live brineshrimp and blackworms. Any other tips would be amazing! Especially for the OSFF, I cannot get access to Masstick where I live which sucks.

I had not exactly planned for these fish to come in so soon, I asked my LFS to make an order for me, but they came super early, I wasnt expecting them for another 4-6 weeks, and especially not all together - which is why I had to grab the second qt tank. Dont want to be putting 2 tangs 2 Wrasse a Regal Angel and a OSFF in one tank thats for sure!

I am trying to scrape all this together as best I can.

Thanks,

Fergus

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to get this straight, it sounded like you would be disposing of the rock and sand but later in your post it sounded like you might be planning on using it. The copper is most likely still in them so probably best not to use if you’re using prime.

Since you’re in a rush to get everything set up you can clean the tank well and start with adding the bacteria only daily with an ammonia alert badge in the tank. After a few days test the water for copper and, if none is present, it should be safe to use the prime. I’d also make sure to run carbon to help absorb any traces of copper still left

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TL;DR

If you have copper in your rocks. You’ll need to run cuprisorb for 2 weeks after copper tests 0ppm for the safe introduction of corals/inverts.

Fish can be exposed to the copper while it’s ramping down - not corals nor inverts.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its called pourous referring often to objects and surfaces. It comes down to absorption by rock, filters, silicone and more. Copper binds with carbonates and literally bonds with surfaces and objects and with cuprisorb and carbon, the content is lowered but never fully removed and as soon as it is exposed to water, it leeces until gone.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rinse the heck out of the sand and rocks if you use them. It would depend on what type copper treatment was used. Each would have different amount of "binding". The residual copper would be negligible for fish only. Inverts and corals it might take more time.

OP
OP
S

Sharp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its called pourous referring often to objects and surfaces. It comes down to absorption by rock, filters, silicone and more. Copper binds with carbonates and literally bonds with surfaces and objects and with cuprisorb and carbon, the content is lowered but never fully removed and as soon as it is exposed to water, it leeces until gone.
TL;DR

If you have copper in your rocks. You’ll need to run cuprisorb for 2 weeks after copper tests 0ppm for the safe introduction of corals/inverts.

Fish can be exposed to the copper while it’s ramping down - not corals nor inverts.
Trying to get this straight, it sounded like you would be disposing of the rock and sand but later in your post it sounded like you might be planning on using it. The copper is most likely still in them so probably best not to use if you’re using prime.

Since you’re in a rush to get everything set up you can clean the tank well and start with adding the bacteria only daily with an ammonia alert badge in the tank. After a few days test the water for copper and, if none is present, it should be safe to use the prime. I’d also make sure to run carbon to help absorb any traces of copper still left
Wow thanks guys. Im sorry I did not make my first post clear. I am disposing of the old rock and sand that was exposed to copper and planning on replacing it with brand new rock and sand. Would the amount of copper that is still in the silicon be enough to cause problems with using prime? I have asked the LFS to hold the fish for a few days which gives me some time.

OP
OP
S

Sharp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rinse the heck out of the sand and rocks if you use them. It would depend on what type copper treatment was used. Each would have different amount of "binding". The residual copper would be negligible for fish only. Inverts and corals it might take more time.
What about when using with prime?

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No that's not enough to cause a problem. If silicone is blue its only the pores in silicone that absorbs it. Looks much more than it is.

OP
OP
S

Sharp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I rinse out the aquarium. Have it fully bare then add brand new filter, rocks, sand, heater (which I already have). I should be fine?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Wow thanks guys. Im sorry I did not make my first post clear. I am disposing of the old rock and sand that was exposed to copper and planning on replacing it with brand new rock and sand. Would the amount of copper that is still in the silicon be enough to cause problems with using prime? I have asked the LFS to hold the fish for a few days which gives me some time.
Prime is an alternative-, rather than solution
High grade carbon more reliable and mainly would affect inverts

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it should be fine. It would be super low levels in water. If your concerned you could acid/base wash it. Not necessary imo.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t be worried about trace copper from from glass and silicone. Copper is a necessary trace element. Your salt mix will always have trace copper and is nothing to be afraid of.

Only when copper exceeds these natural levels is when concern is needed.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back